Second Hand Pistols?

I’m looking to pick up a 44mag hunting setup. Looking at the SBH closely. Is it likely to find a good used setup to save a bit?

Tom W.

Yes. A lot of people have issues with something like the .44 or bigger, and either trade them off or sell them with very few shots actually being fired from them. I'm on my 3rd .44 now, the first was a 10 inch barrel SBH that I just didn't like, the 2nd was a stainless steel SBH with a fluted cylinder and a much shorter barrel. I kept it for about 12 years and liked it a lot. My current is a SRH and I've had it for many years. It'll stay with me, we know each other.

If it was me, I'd look for a SRH, just because I can shoot them a whole lot better than the SBH. The felt recoil from the SRH doesn't feel nearly a violent as the SBH, even with the same loads.

Lilly001

The used market is a great place to find hand guns.
Be knowledgeable enough about the gun to spot obvious problems.
A used hand gun is typically 3/4 to half the cost of new.
I acquired my last hand gun at less than half the cost of new and it included a holster, scope mount, and ammo that pushed the deal even further to my good.

Thank you for all of the feed back on here and those of you that messaged me. I think I feel better about the used market now. Probably leaning towards a stainless 7.5” Redhawk with or without a scope or red dot. Hopefully I’ll find a good deal and have a deer or 2 down with it by the end of season.

Gator89

I luvs me some used guns, high end guns can be picked extra low. I bought a Freedom Arms 454 with extra 45C & 45acp cylinders for 60% of new.

A Ruger can be picked up from $100 to $200 under new, unless it is collectible model. Maybe cheaper if the seller is in a hurry.

Bobby Bigtime

Used is defiantly the way to go in 44 mag. Most ,like the others have said are shot very little. There is a lot of buck and roar that comes with the 44 magnum. Which turns a lot of folks off quickly. Most real 44 shooters put in a lot of trigger time with 44 specials to keep in practice so those boys tend to keep their pistolies. good choice for serious hand gun hunters.

Lilly001

I’m lucky in that a good friend of mine is really into high powered hand guns.
He buys quality new and used and shoots 1-2k rounds. Then he finds a new project and offers the last to me at half or a little more of what it cost him.
I’m sure part of that is because he has standing permission to use them when he wants, though he never does.
Typically his guns have quality accessories that come with them. I am actively looking for more friends like him.:shoot:

Bobby Bigtime

I’m lucky in that a good friend of mine is really into high powered hand guns.
He buys quality new and used and shoots 1-2k rounds. Then he finds a new project and offers the last to me at half or a little more of what it cost him.
I’m sure part of that is because he has standing permission to use them when he wants, though he never does.
Typically his guns have quality accessories that come with them. I am actively looking for more friends like him.:shoot:
A true friend indeed

transfixer

I try my best to buy all my handguns on the used market, if you watch the classfieds and the trader sites you can find a good deal from time to time, and no paperwork to fill out,,, so no record of you owning it.

bevills1

I got a srh in stainless with 9.5" barrel for $287 on closeoutt 15 to 20 years ago and like it very much. I've used it only with open sights but am now considering either a scope or red dot. Having the versatility of shooting 44 Special really helps for use in practice sessions.

Anvil Head

I try my best to buy all my handguns on the used market, if you watch the classfieds and the trader sites you can find a good deal from time to time, and no paperwork to fill out,,, so no record of you owning it.
Didn't know you could buy one "new" for a very long time. By then I didn't need too. I've gotten some great deals trading my custom work for them and am totally against PW. Used to be able to anonymous call the PD to check for "stolen", but not had to do that in a long time. Just be diligent.