Sections of the 'hooch I can run a trolling motor?

RamblinWreck

Went to Jones Bridge ramp to check it out today - limited parking, but should be OK early AM on weekdays. Nice stretch of river. Worst case I put the boat in and park down the road in the bigger lot. I'll go at sunrise, this week for sure.

The USCOE spatial data website with the dam release schedules has been down (too long to respond) for weeks. Anyone able to access it?

weagle

The the parking at the ramp is mostly reserved for vehicles with trailers. I've never had a problem parking there with a trailer. When I have the kayak in the back of my truck, I park down in the main parking area and there's a launch area down a short, hard packed trail, and the kayak cart works great. I fish down and take out at the ramp; put my kayak on the cart and walk it back up to the truck. It's an easy pull (I'm 56 with an iffy knee) on a smooth, flat, paved road. Take about 12 minutes to pull it back to the truck and I usually see a deer or 2.

RamblinWreck

My cart is woefully inadequate, and I regret the purchase. Until I rectify that issue (make something that works), I'll use the trailer.

RamblinWreck

Yesterday morning I went to McGinnis and caught some rainbows, but it took a little while to find them, and what they wanted to bite. They were pretty good sized ones, though.

In the "tight" spots where the current is faster, I discovered that the trolling motor would barely pull the current going upstream. This was at regular low level, hours since the last generation pulse flow subsided, so I need a stronger motor (this one is a 46 lb), or a lighter kayak.

RamblinWreck

Wow. Fantastic day at McGinnis Fy today. Fished daylight until about 2PM. I went well below the bridge and caught a bunch, breaking in a new JDM rod I just got, a 7' Yamaga Blue Current I bought especially for fishing the hooch for trout using my new secret lure (more on that later).

I also caught several decent trout on my overhauled Cardinal 3 and a hand-tied gold/chartreuse jig. I've recently started tying my own crappie/panfish/trout jigs, and it was nice to see they do indeed work.

I caught and released 15, lost 3. Sadly, I ended the day on a sour note, breaking off on a very large fish, almost like the line was cut. Are there gar in the hooch?

weagle

Great report. I've never caught any gar on that stretch, but there are Chain Pickerel. They are toothy.
Stock picture:
file_167143_0_pickerel.jpg

weagle

Nice picture of that Cardinal. I have a couple I have fished since the mid 70's and I've never torn one down; just replaced bail springs.

nddb333

I think my wife and I are going to fish/float McGinnis Ferry to Abbots Bridge based on all of the info on this thread. Thank you guys by the way for all of the insight. I'm pretty new to float fishing but super excited to do more of it.
I'm also a trout newbie. Just did it once wading through the Chattooga throwing a Rooster Tail with moderate success. Is the Bass/Striped Bass fishing decent in this area of the Hooch too or y'all think I might have more success w trout?

Mickey Flatshoals

I think my wife and I are going to fish/float McGinnis Ferry to Abbots Bridge based on all of the info on this thread. Thank you guys by the way for all of the insight. I'm pretty new to float fishing but super excited to do more of it.
I'm also a trout newbie. Just did it once wading through the Chattooga throwing a Rooster Tail with moderate success. Is the Bass/Striped Bass fishing decent in this area of the Hooch too or y'all think I might have more success w trout?
That area is really good for trout. You’ll find a bass every once in a while but they’re usually found south of 400. Use a rapala. If the water is low enough you’ll probably find a bunch of mine in the rocks. The water moves quick enough that you’ll have to figure out how to keep still long enough to work an area.