Secular morality vs bibilical morality

660griz

What consenting adults do among themselves has never concerned me. What they do to children and what they demand from society does.
I agree.

660griz

Correct. Suggesting that we are trading one wrong for another. I see Right being out traded Wrong. I have this stuff in my own family, the full gamut. It's going to be hard to convince me that it's OK. It's going to be even more difficult to convince me that replacing the old values and moralities with these new ones will produce a better society.
I think society is still working it out. Some folks have some new found freedoms that they want to flaunt. There will hopefully be some backlash and they will dial it back a bit. Men competing in women's sport should be shortlived as well...I hope.

Artfuldodger

Also keep in mind that secular morality changes biblical morality. Think about how the women in society changed biblical morality in the 60's. Christians have more or less set aside Paul's revelation on all of those special rules for women.
Women are no longer subjection to their husbands, they can teach over men, wear gold and pearls, wear braided hair and fancy clothes. About the only thing they can't do is preach!

Having lived through this change myself, I can see where the secular changed the biblical. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just how it is.

Artfuldodger

Would globalization give everyone the same currency, government, religion, and morals?

I'm not for globalization, just thinking out loud. Don't most Christian countries want every country to be Christian? To have the same morals as we do?

WaltL1

Would globalization give everyone the same currency, government, religion, and morals?

I'm not for globalization, just thinking out loud. Don't most Christian countries want every country to be Christian? To have the same morals as we do?
Also keep in mind that secular morality changes biblical morality. Think about how the women in society changed biblical morality in the 60's. Christians have more or less set aside Paul's revelation on all of those special rules for women.
Women are no longer subjection to their husbands, they can teach over men, wear gold and pearls, wear braided hair and fancy clothes. About the only thing they can't do is preach!

Having lived through this change myself, I can see where the secular changed the biblical. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just how it is.
I think its unavoidable.
Religious folks dont live in a vacuum. They live in society. And society is made of humans. And humans views change. Certainly not everybodys views change in a lifetime but in enough lifetimes......
I think changing views is a part of being human.
We've been doing it since day one.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
I definitely understand where you are coming from and don't disagree with you in general. But it seems like you have a bit of tunnel vision. You mentioned children. "New" morality says young girls marrying adult men is bad. "New" morality says kids should be in school not picking a crop. "New" morality says you cant own someone elses kid and make them pick your cotton.......
So it really depends on where you sit as to whether new or old makes for a better society.

I do have a bit more focus, or tunnel vision. After making such wonderful improvements in the human condition, over decades, it looks like we are happily chucking it all for other destructive practices and doing it in a much more compressed timeline.
It was hard to change what was considered acceptable, now we are rediculed for even questioning what is acceptable.

atlashunter

I definitely understand where you are coming from and don't disagree with you in general. But it seems like you have a bit of tunnel vision. You mentioned children. "New" morality says young girls marrying adult men is bad. "New" morality says kids should be in school not picking a crop. "New" morality says you cant own someone elses kid and make them pick your cotton.......
So it really depends on where you sit as to whether new or old makes for a better society.

It's a mixed bag. It's not all good or all bad. How do we sort the one from the other? By reason? Or by faith in a book claimed to be a moral authority? I think Christians themselves answer that question when they reject slavery and polygamy.

atlashunter

I do have a bit more focus, or tunnel vision. After making such wonderful improvements in the human condition, over decades, it looks like we are happily chucking it all for other destructive practices and doing it in a much more compressed timeline.
It was hard to change what was considered acceptable, now we are rediculed for even questioning what is acceptable.

I think we can do better than the morality one would get from strict adherence to an Abrahamic religious text. That doesn't necessarily mean that we will.