Are see thrus a good choice ?

• Yes , I have See thrus

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • No , I do not have see thrus

Votes: 35 72.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MCBUCK

I feel if you mount a scope , then that's what you use. The see thrus seem to affect accuracy somewhat. Not that iron sights are bad , but make a choice .
What is your choice. Do you have see thrus or not.
Oops !! Mounts.

Last edited:

QuakerBoy

I have to agree with you.

2 reasons I don't like them. One...I like to have my cheek down against the stock of the rifle. with see throughs you have to raise your head up from the gun slightly to look through. it is not a natural shooting position...at least to me.

also...thogh it is minimal...imagine having 2 separate planes....one is the level where your crosshairs meet...the others is the trajectory of your bullet. your point of impact is where these 2 planes cross. Anything in front of or past that point of impact is slightly off. The farther you take the scope away from the plane of the barel the more drastic the difference in your accureacy in front of and beyone the point you are sighted in for.

GeauxLSU

I assume you're talking about mounts and not scope covers.
In that case, EXACTLY what Rich said.
I can not imagine having see through mounts on any gun I'd ever shoot beyond a 100 yards. Since my only sub 100 yard guns are pistols, I do not own any see throughs.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

duckbill

I don't like them at all. They make the gun feel top-heavy. I feel that when you shoulder a rifle, you should bring it to the same spot every time and position your cheek properly to be a good shot. Anything that makes you change your cheek(or head) position is recipe for poor accuracy. Just my 2 cents.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
mounts or scope covers??.........

I thought it was about nightgowns :D .lolol........used to have see through mounts.......scope set sorta high, but ya got used to it........ :)

specialk

wouldn't do me any good cause none of my rifles have iron sights!

QuakerBoy

coon dawg said:
I thought it was about nightgowns :D

In that case then I guess it would depend on who is wearing it :bounce:

leoparddog

I wanna take my vote back. I thought we were talking about see thru scope covers! I like those. I do not like the see thru mounts and wouldn't have them on a bolt action big game rifle, for the reasons others have already stated.

On my lever actions I prefer Ghost ring or other peep sights - or a very low power scope. :whip: me for not reading before voted.

Slug-Gunner

They Are Excellent on a Slug-Gun!

I've used them on my Ithaca Model 87 DeerSlayer for 15 years now. I use to "Still-Hunt/Stalk" a lot when I was younger. I originally had a Bushnell Sportview 3-9x40 scope on it and at short range and/or heavy brush, it was very difficult to find the deer in the scope quickly. The gun had a hi-viz orange front sight on it, and when "snapping" the gun to my shoulder quickly ("tight cheek weld" as in wing-shooting), the open sights lined up perfectly. It makes it a lot quicker to get a "bead" on a deer you jump out of its bed when you are "still-hunting".

When hunting from an elevated stand, I generally use the scope except when the deer is DIRECTLY UNDER THE STAND. Then the open sights work better for shot placement at ranges under 10 yards. When hunting in Fort Gordon's Small Arms Impact Area (a QDM area), I'll often turn the scope up to maximum power to be sure the deer I'm aiming at meets the requirements (4 pts on one side or better) and is not a young button/spike buck. This see-thru scope mount combination has worked quite well for me and has resulted in 30+ deer taken with this gun alone with a little under half being taken with the "see-thru" open sights.

It really depends on the range and type of terrain you expect to find deer in. On Fort Gordon, where I hunt almost exclusively, it is generally either dense hardwood bottoms, or open pines and shots are generally at 100 yards or less. I know EXACTLY where my gun will place the slug at ranges out to 175 yards and the scope is adjusted for "Point-Blank Zero" out to 150 yards. (The "strike of the bullet" will always be within 3.5-4" of "point-of-aim" of the scope crosshairs from 0 to 150 yards.)

If you hunt power lines or fields, then see-thru scope mounts aren't needed. If you hunt DENSE HARDWOOD BOTTOMS where shots are almost always under 50 yards, then you might want to check out "see-thru scope mounts." They WORK GREAT for me!

:D :clap: :cool: :fine: ;)

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think see through mounts are easier to knock off. I dont use them. I like to use scopes with a lower setting. like 2.3 x10. so I can pick up a target easier.

Meriwether Mike

The sight plane of the scope and bullet travel line in the barrel are the better off when they are as close as possible. I have had see through in the past and had trouble with movement of my zero point. Not a problem now.

Cranium

I have different setups on different rifles...for 300+ yard rifles no see thru...<300 yard rifles..some have them & some don't..the line of sight & bullet trajectory differences are insignificant at the shorter distances...& the see thrus definitely have their advantages in the thick stuff...the reality is to each their own...the most important factor is the proficiency of the shooter/rifle combination

MCBUCK

Yeah I hear you "see thru" boys. But you still lose time trying to decide which one to use don't you ?? I used to use em' but after using a traditional "base mount" I chunk every set of holey mounts I wind up with ( buying a used gun trading etc...)

MCBUCK

coon dawg said:
I thought it was about nightgowns :D .lolol........used to have see through mounts.......scope set sorta high, but ya got used to it........ :)
I bet you've got see thru FTL's. :bounce: :bounce: ::ke:

I have a Remington 742 Woodsmaster with see through mounts. Even though it is a 30-06 I still like the see through mounts. they are easier sometimes than a scope.

stumpman

Banned
They are exellent on some one elses gun just not mine none of my rifles have iron sights anyway and if they did id take them off and plug the holes i want the scope as close to the barrel as i can get it without touching.

matthewsman

see thrus on all of them

But then again,I've never been anywhere I could shoot over 200yds,and have never had a shot over 150...It was nice to have see-thrus when my scope fogged up when I was on vacation during the rut this year and I couldn't use it.

frankwright

I do not like see thrus at all. I worry that if I was in an accident and the EMTs had to cut off my pants, then the see thrus...

Wait a minute, what are you guys talking about. Oh Man! I don't like see thru scope mounts either. If I put on a scope I trust it. I can't see open sights anyway and I hate you have to stick your head way up to see thru the scope with those mounts.