Seed depth question.

drtslngr

Based off answers to my previous question, we will be rolling with chicory, winter wheat, rape, crimson/perennial clovers and possibly radish. We have tractors, rototillers and a homemade packer that is smooth vs having teeth. We also have a drag with teeth that can be flipped to smooth that seemed to have worked the best last year.

What have you folks found to be the most effective way to get your seeds at the right depth/packed and covered correctly? Maybe some suggestions given the equipment we have and I really appreciate any help.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Brother I've drug plots with chain link fence weighted down ... Pine logs with rope around them... Anything to cover the seed so they have a chance to germinate! Don't over think it! Is easy to grow deer food!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I use a piece of chain link fence drub behind a 4 wheeler or tractor. Tie a rope to the front 2 corners and let Dylan ride it like a cowboy surf board. He stands in about the middle and keeps the fence from bouncing too much

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
A. A cultipacker
B. A drag with teeth
C. A disc set just to cover minimally
D. A chain link fence
E. A nice soaking rain

If the ground is worked up, most seeds don't need a lot of depth. Seeds that are small can just be broadcast on top the ground,
Seeding rates.JPG

drtslngr

A. A cultipacker
B. A drag with teeth
C. A disc set just to cover minimally
D. A chain link fence
E. A nice soaking rain

If the ground is worked up, most seeds don't need a lot of depth. Seeds that are small can just be broadcast on top the ground,
View attachment 941870
Thanks so much for adding Canuck. I've read quite a bit..so if I could trouble you for more detail. could you list the steps you take in order to ensure proper depth for each type. I.E>I would assume we rotovate (secondary question is do we want to till the fertilize in and or does fert need to stay on top) then cultipack. drag with teeth to plant wheat, cultipack again, sling 1/4-1/2 deep stuff on top and cover with smooth side of drag? Thanks again for the help.

Canuck5

a. Spread fertilizer
b. Work up the ground
c. Spread large seeds, like wheat, oats, cereal rye
d. Cultipack (a cultipacker or roller will push the seeds into the worked up ground)
e. Spread small seeds like clover, and brassicas
f. Cultipack again
g. Finish off with a nice cold beverage

Canuck5

You can also substitute a drag, for a cultipacker, for large seeds only. Small seeds, without a cultipacker, just broadcast them on top of the ground and wait for a nice rain. The rain will push those small seeds into the ground.

drtslngr

Canuck, if your ever round Vidalia when I am, I'll take ya to lunch. Thanks a bunch for spelling it out for me. Exactly what I needed.

Canuck5

:):):)

Washtub

Ok, I’m going to piggy-back on top of this post. We will have a rototiller work up the ground. However, we were just going to plant a basic buck on the bag fall blend. What should our steps be? We also have a pull behind smooth cultipacker.

1)put down fertilizer
2)rototill
3)spread the fall blend
4)drag with fence
5)cultipack

Thoughts?

Canuck5

Not sure what will be in your fall blend, but I think that will work!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Triton Mike

Do this. For clover. Till the soil. Then Run. Over it with the tractor then throw down seed and then run over it again Clover needs to stay on top

Most everything else till soil then throw down seed then run over it with ATV or tractor.

Rain will do the rest of the work. This info comes direct from white tail institute guys and is for folk that have more remote plots.

280bst

I'm a Simple man seeds that ya can't see just throw them out. All others 1 and 1/2 depth of seed done

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
a. Spread fertilizer
b. Work up the ground
c. Spread large seeds, like wheat, oats, cereal rye
d. Cultipack (a cultipacker or roller will push the seeds into the worked up ground)
e. Spread small seeds like clover, and brassicas
f. Cultipack again
g. Finish off with a nice cold beverage

This!!
We work hard to get to g