Seeking Civil Engineering Job - Dec. 2011 Graduate

My name is josh and I will be graduating from Georgia Southern University in December of this year with a civil engineering degree. I have passed the EIT/FE exam, have a 3.54 gpa, and I am part of Georgia Southerns American Society of Civil Engineers. I am looking for a job in all aspects of civil engineering (environmental, hydrology, land development/surveying, structures, geotechnical, etc.). I have a resume prepared that I am ready to give to anybody looking to fill a position in this field. I am eager to utilize my enthusiastic and determined demeanor to begin my career as an engineer. I am a team player that can work at a quick pace even in the toughest situations. You can pm me or email me at jl02733@georgiasouthern.edu. Thanks for your time!

MTMiller

I'm a civil engineer (land development) and will keep my eyes and ears open for you. You might want to look into energy jobs as a backup/alternative. I have a friend that got hired on with a nuclear engineering firm. He has a GREAT job and makes more than I do even though he just graduated and I'm a PE with 10 years experience.

coltday

My brother is also a civil engineer and GSU alumni. I remember seeing that the naval base in Kingsland had quite a few jobs in the field when he was about to graduate. I can't remember the website where the FED's list their jobs for it and FLETC, but it was something like usajobs.gov. I will see what I can find, good luck!

rawolfee

I am an electrical engineer, but the firm I work for has a posting for a civil/structural engineer I in our Savannah office. You can check out our website at http://web.hargrove-epc.com/. You can also send me your resume if you'd like and i will pass it along to the lead engineer. However, I would recommend going online and officially applying.

MTMiller, i have seen and heard a bunch about the energy stuff and have been applying to all the jobs i see i might fit.

coltday, i have and will continue to look through the usajobs.gov website, and i think i actually did apply for one job at kingsbay, i have not heard back from them yet, but maybe sometime soon, haha.

thanks to all of yall, i will continue my search and hope something comes up soon

Check out:

http://www.indeed.com

Check back every morning as the servers refresh with new jobs every day at midnight.

Its an aggregator that will pull from many other job boards.

Would also recommend asking the GS's careers dept to see what companies they have relationships with, etc. See who attended the recent job fairs and was recruiting for CEs. Then contact those companies HR dept and ask who you can send your resume to/go on their websites, etc.

You gotta be aggressive these days! Good Luck!

TurkeyBird

Check out Southern Company's website. There are some very good opportunities at the Vogtle 3&4 project. Also look at Shaw. They are a subcontractor on the project and are in need of design engineers. This a developing field and a very good thing to get involved with. Good luck.

jdgator

Keep your head up, dude. Some firm out there is just waiting to hire you. Its only a matter of time.

billyrb

I second the Nuclear route. I'm a Landscape Architect with 15 years experience, and can't find squat (same with several other buddies). But, quite a few friends with engineering background are now going towards various Nuclear-related jobs, and a couple are making 6 figures (granted they work their tails off), but as engineers, they were making less than half what they are now, and they were working just as hard back then.