Seeking input

ucfireman

Me and a few buddies from the FD are wanting to do a hog hunt for a day or 2 later this month. We are looking for WMAs with a decent population. We were looking at Oaky woods or Ocmulgee. Anybody want to recommend another with good populations. This go around we were thinking south of Atlanta and west of 75. But any info for north or any other hot spots would be appreciated. Preferably with in 1.5-2 hours of Atlanta.
I am not looking for anyone's honey hole just some input. I have never hunted hogs before and the other 2 have but in SOUTH Ga and La.
PM is preferred. Thanks in advance.

I've hunted oakywoods and had success. I have also hunted pinelog in white Georgia which is North of Atlanta. I've been to pinelog several times and haven't seen a thing. Oaky woods or ocmulgee would be my best bet that I know of. But I've only been back in Georgia for a few months

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
They say hanahatchee isn't to bad.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think first responders are allowed to hunt the Fort Benning reservation which is huge and loaded with hogs.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve had great luck at ocmulgee , early in the year small game season or archery , haven’t been in a few years but use to live pretty close and hunted it often, beautiful swamp !

ucfireman

Ill Look into that Dave.
Looked at the website and it didn't show availability for 1st responders, Ill call next week and ask.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I think first responders are allowed to hunt the Fort Benning reservation which is huge and loaded with hogs.
I know some military guys that hunt it and they see and kill a lot of hogs and some nice bucks also , not sure about first responders but maybe so !

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Check out Hannahatchee As well.....should be lots of hogs and it’s flat so ez walking(sort of)

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Someone said Oconee WMA has pigs. I deer hunted there years ago and saw no signs. I know Clybel has a few.
Oconee has pigs. Seen em Turkey huntin and couldn't get a shot

Big7

The Oracle

And Chickasawhatchee (sp) is right there
too. I've done well there it would be
worth the xtra miles.

Don't wait until it gets warm.
Plenty of bugs, gators and snakes.

BamaGeorgialine

I'm in a club beside Hannahatchee and we have A LOT of hogs. It isn't flat. Very steep ridges. I haven't seen many rattlesnakes but, I'm looking out when I'm climbing up those ridges because it would be easy to get popped above the knee and above knee high snake boots

ucfireman

And Chickasawhatchee (sp) is right there
too. I've done well there it would be
worth the xtra miles.

Don't wait until it gets warm.
Plenty of bugs, gators and snakes.

Is it a state park or WMA? If park I didnt know it would be open.
I may give it a try later in the month..

Big7

The Oracle
Is it a state park or WMA? If park I didnt know it would be open.
I may give it a try later in the month..

WMA and it's tough when it gets warm.

Nice in the cool and cold weather.

oldguy

WMA and it's tough when it gets warm.

Nice in the cool and cold weather.
Not just bugs, snakes and gators, but now massive hurricane damage that makes gettin' around in the woods very difficult. 'Course the hogs'd still be there it's just the gettin' to 'em and gettin' 'em out.