Seeking recommendations for country ham

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
My Granddaddy always had a smoke house with the salt box in it. I have helped many time with getting them hams in the salt box and then get them hung up for six months of so. I can still see my Granddaddy with his Barlow cutting a slice off of a ham in the smoke house and eating it. He would either say, This one ready to eat, and on a rare occasion, he would say this one needs a few more day. I help a guy up here smoke hams, bacon and sausage every year and he is good, but he aint as good as my Granddaddy was.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My Granddaddy always had a smoke house with the salt box in it. I have helped many time with getting them hams in the salt box and then get them hung up for six months of so. I can still see my Granddaddy with his Barlow cutting a slice off of a ham in the smoke house and eating it. He would either say, This one ready to eat, and on a rare occasion, he would say this one needs a few more day. I help a guy up here smoke hams, bacon and sausage every year and he is good, but he aint as good as my Granddaddy was.
Same here. I still remember the smell walking into the smokehouse. My grandpa had the knack.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I'm 62 and that tin has been on that smokehouse since before I was born. It don't leak a drop to this day.

Patriot44

Banned
M dad sent me about 15 packs of Hobes Sugar Cured Country Ham about 10 years ago and it was fine eating. I like the saltier hams but the wiff and chillens really dug into these.

https://hobescountryham.com/