self guided caribou in alaska info? Update

turkeykirk

Waiting on the report.

mmcneil

We finally made it home last night, 8500 miles round trip. It was a great hunt and we all were able to get a nice caribou. We flew in on the morning of the 11th. It took a few hours of jumping planes to get to our hunting spot. Once we got all four hunters there we set up camp, found our water source and started scouting. We saw some nice caribou and watched them migrate through the area. Rain started about 9 pm Friday night and didn't quit till 4 am Saturday morning.

Saturday morning we left camp early and two guys were able to get there bulls. We spent the next 7 hours quartering and packing them back to camp. We relaxed around camp and had a hot meal before we went out that evening. Rain storm came in around 8 that night and got the caribou moving again. The 3rd bull was shot that evening. It was around 11:30 pm when we got it back to camp and hung up. By now it's stroming pretty good and we're all tired and ready for bed. Do to the weather there's no cooking that night, just bagels, peanut butter and granola bars in the tent.

Sunday started out the same with rain till mid morning. We saw some nice bulls crossing the ridge behind camp and we made a move to get in front of them. We were able to cut them off, but after a closer look they weren't as nice as I thought. Chased after another bull for a hour or so and he eventually grouped up with 60+ other caribou and I couldn't get a clean shot on him. Went back to camp to rest for a while, get more water and get ready for the afternoon hunt. Decided to set up on a ridge where they were crossing and watch for a while. After about an hour a group of three bulls emerged about 3/4 mile away. It took them abou 30 minutes to get to us. By then I knew the last bull in the group was a good one. I was able to get a walking shot on him around 100yds. We got him packed back to camp, had some supper and called it a night just as the rain started again.

The transporter had already come by and flown two caribou out. Monday mid day they came back and flew the next two out. We flew out Tuesday night and got back to Tok in time for a good dinner at Fast Eddies.
It was the adventure of a lifetime. Two plus years of planning and a lot of driving, but I'm glad we drove out. We got to see some amazing scenery and beautiful country. Next time I would definitely fly out.

turkeykirk

Congratulations on the great time and trip.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Impressive to say the least! I couldn't help but notice the date of when you started this thread.... You did your homework and things payed off! Congratulations on an excellent adventure!

mmcneil

Hunter Joe- yep we brought all the meat, capes and horns back. No problem with it. I don't remember the form number off the top of my head. We had to go to the US Fish and Wildlife office in Alaska, get an import/export form and fill it out and they signed, and made us 3 copies. Canada wanted to see it when we entered and the US customs wanted to see it also. Customs pulled us inside and we had to go through a half hour of questions and such but it wasn't an issue, just the normal questioning I think.

HunterJoe24

Hunter Joe- yep we brought all the meat, capes and horns back. No problem with it. I don't remember the form number off the top of my head. We had to go to the US Fish and Wildlife office in Alaska, get an import/export form and fill it out and they signed, and made us 3 copies. Canada wanted to see it when we entered and the US customs wanted to see it also. Customs pulled us inside and we had to go through a half hour of questions and such but it wasn't an issue, just the normal questioning I think.

Ok, that's not too bad, but congrats on what sounds like a great hunt

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Wow man that's awesome!!!!!
Is it allowed to bring skull and antlers back intact for euro mount?
The pros and cons of driving vs flying is something I'd like to learn more about. I know driving takes more time but I would imagine it'd be the best way to get all your meat home.
I probably will have a lot of questions for you over the next couple years if you didn't mind.
Did you book with 40 mile air the year you went? Or in advance? Is it that busy where it must be done way in advance?
Is the camp in your pictures yours or did you rent that up there?
I chuckled at the fence...ahhh ha ha ha, we had one in Wyoming back country 2015 hunt! Struck a good memory!

Awesome post this is!!! Glad you told me about it! Congrats on an awesome time and y'alls success!!!

HunterJoe24

Wow man that's awesome!!!!!
Is it allowed to bring skull and antlers back intact for euro mount?
The pros and cons of driving vs flying is something I'd like to learn more about. I know driving takes more time but I would imagine it'd be the best way to get all your meat home.
I probably will have a lot of questions for you over the next couple years if you didn't mind.
Did you book with 40 mile air the year you went? Or in advance? Is it that busy where it must be done way in advance?
Is the camp in your pictures yours or did you rent that up there?
I chuckled at the fence...ahhh ha ha ha, we had one in Wyoming back country 2015 hunt! Struck a good memory!

Awesome post this is!!! Glad you told me about it! Congrats on an awesome time and y'alls success!!!

From the research I've done, 40 mile is done a year in advance if I remember correctly, but it is really difficult for a new client to book as they take return clients first which fill sup the bookings pretty fast

sea trout

i can understand
thanks man!
Are you plannin on goin up there soon?

HunterJoe24

Hopefully within the next 5 years or so. There's a bunch of info out there on all sorts of forums and articles about this hunt. 40 mile is probably the best company out there which makes it very hard to get booked as a new client. But, when you finally get the chance to book with them you have 1st choice as a return client from then on

sea trout

I like 40 mile. I like the pictures mmcneil posted on here...the background kinda looks mixed terrain. That's nice!
Arrowhead uses the float planes and I noticed they carry 70lbs of gear per person vs 50lbs with the 40 mile super cubs. But I think arrowhead only flys you out to tundra only...no trees.
I still have a lotta research to do. We're hoping for 3 years...idk maybe 4 to save funds.

mmcneil

Yep we took all the gear with us. Tent, fence, stove etc. 40 mile air starts booking new clients in December, but existing clients have the first two weeks to schedule hunts. Even as an existing client it can be hard to book. I know this year they didn’t take on any new clients. You do book in 2018 for a hunt in 2019. Pay 50% when booking then the rest when you get there. We didn’t really look at flying out with all the gear. I know it’s possible but we had the time and wanted to fish and sight see so driving was fine with us. You are correct 50 pounds is the limit for 40 mile air but there are some ways to get a few more pounds in with you. Be happy to answer any questions you have about the hunt. I’ve got a pretty detailed gear list when you get to that point.

sea trout

Thanks mmcneil

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Man that's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! Looks like it was a great time.