Sentimental lane....

Darkhorse

I remember hunting with my old Thompson Center Renegade and not knowing anybody else who hunted black powder.
Old Realtree, Treebark, rubber bottom boots, flannel shirts and bluejeans.
My hands so cold I couldn't cap my rifle in the dark 5 yards from a big sow and pigs while walking in one morning.
When my beard and hair still had some color besides white.
When I could still drag a deer or hog out of the woods by myself.
Walking old fence rows with a shotgun.
Cold cornfields at first and last light waiting on wood ducks.
Further back, when rabbits, squirrels and quail were big game.
TC-Renegade-150-1091-Pixels-723x1024.jpg

Blackston

An old army tent on ossabaw no poles had to have THE tree set it up , Hunting " public land " and realizing that we weren't on savannah wildlife refuge, killing my first 2 deer 8 pt and a doe on one trip. My Daddy doin his BEST to give us boys the best. Sure was a sweet time that I wouldn't trade for anything!!!!!!!

ninjaneer

4 prongs in dark coves,
drinking from branches,
catching spring lizards,
honey buns and potted meat,
3 on the tree,gun racks in windows,
brothers army jacket and jeans,
teeth chattering waiting for sun to get up over the ridge,
sitting on limbs w/ no stand,
Charles Daly scope w/tip over mounts,
see a deer or sign was a good trip,
Jake Plott's fur house,
$50 fox $80 bobcat $25 coon
ham biscuits from Katherines Kitchen on way toward Athens,
Best coon & squirrel dog ever had, Betty
moms chicken and dumplins

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I was only invited to deer hunt once that I remember as a little kid...and what I remember was Jesse (1st step dad) taking me in woods behind the trailer and sitting on the ground watching a hillside. We didnt see anything, but man he enjoyed those budweisers in that little red and white igloo playmate cooler :fine::fine::fine::cheers::cheers::cheers::clap::clap::clap:

We did more fishing than hunting, but he always had that igloo :)

Lukikus2

I was only invited to deer hunt once that I remember as a little kid...and what I remember was Jesse (1st step dad) taking me in woods behind the trailer and sitting on the ground watching a hillside. We didnt see anything, but man he enjoyed those budweisers in that little red and white igloo playmate cooler :fine::fine::fine::cheers::cheers::cheers::clap::clap::clap:

We did more fishing than hunting, but he always had that igloo :)

:bounce:

I didn't need to take it in the woods. Woke up a few times confused as was the truck was though.

All my pics would be from a disposable camera in them days. No fancy cell phone. Nearest phone was 5 miles, or 30 minutes away. You were on your own.

TomC

I'm sitting here trying to remember how I found my stand in the dark back in the day before "bright eyes" hit the scene but I always did. Big ol' fat orange XX75's flung from a 50lb Hoyt Pro Hunter using a fletch hunter release or a tab. But that slow bow did a number on many a critter. A brand new Remington 700 BDL 243 with my name on it in the back seat after being picked up from school one Friday afternoon in 5th grade, upgrading from a Baker to a fold up seat Summit, FREEZING cold that Kmart Long Johns could not nor ever did fend off. Dad buying me a camera to take to the woods one year because I tagged out in bowseason when the limit was 3, not being able to go to sleep in the camper because Dad would always watch Dallas and Dynasty, God awful looking camo but it sure worked, wearing a safety belt that probably would have cut me in half if I ever fell, having to clean my dad's deer that he shot with a 7 Mag (what a mess) but loving every minute of it. Sad on Sundays because I had to wait 5 days to come back!!! So many memories..........Sure do miss those days!!!

buckpasser

There surely was something special about being a kid and thinking about the hunt that was coming up tomorrow morning. Laying there trying to somehow speed the clock up and couldn’t sleep. Then it seemed like a blink and Daddy would be telling me to get ready to go. Like so many have said, about to freeze slap to death with 8 layers of clothes on that skinny body. I still vividly remember my first turkey hunt too. Like magic. Indescribable except to folks like you all who’ve been there. Daddy was raised by a nonhunter, so I think about it all the time how fortunate I was. Time to pass it on...

jimmy.444

I remember hunting with my old Thompson Center Renegade and not knowing anybody else who hunted black powder.
Old Realtree, Treebark, rubber bottom boots, flannel shirts and bluejeans.
My hands so cold I couldn't cap my rifle in the dark 5 yards from a big sow and pigs while walking in one morning.
When my beard and hair still had some color besides white.
When I could still drag a deer or hog out of the woods by myself.
Walking old fence rows with a shotgun.
Cold cornfields at first and last light waiting on wood ducks.
Further back, when rabbits, squirrels and quail were big game.
TC-Renegade-150-1091-Pixels-723x1024.jpg
Ive still got my T/C Renegade in .54 cal
I hunted with it in Mississippi in the mid to late 70’s!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Propane lamps in the camp.
Wood heater turning cherry red.
Hand pump on the front porch.
Laying in bed & listening to the men plan the next day's hunt, or gossiping like a bunch of women. ?
Lighting a pile of moss to smoke away the sand gnats.
My uncle whispering over my shoulder that I couldn't shoot because it was a doe.
Feeling so big when first allowed to be on a stand by myself.
Being so excited I couldn't sleep the night before opening day.

And last but not least, my Uncle Robert spending so much time with me taking me to the camp & hunting after my dad passed away. I will never forget that.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Enjoyed reading the entire list.
Just wanted to say nothing much has changed in my hunting except the things I let change and the people that past away.
I’ll never forget my father and all he taught me about hunting.
My kids are learning now.
If you see me hunting you’ll see plenty pre 1979 still performing as good as it ever did.

Darkhorse

I was there at the dawn of deer hunting in central georgia. Some parts of the state had a few deer but any restocking efforts had not happened in Macon County. I remember when seeing a deer track was a rare and exciting time.
And I well remember a freezing cold November morning in Crawford county. My Kmart cotton underwear and old CPO coat were simply overwhelmed and I couldn't stop shaking. Then I thought I heard a hog grunting behind me, turned around and a giant buck walked out of a thicket. I raised my .35 Marlin with the 2.5X Weaver scope and shot him through the heart. And was taken with such violent shaking and trembling I couldn't climb down.
In the back of my pickup one side of his antlers showed well above the sides. I took him to Oglethorpe to show him to a cousin in town and just like the Pied Piper a crowd soon gathered. People came from every store just to look at a buck deer. The excitement was so high it was like a carnival.
We tried to weigh him but had no scale with the capacity. Our game warden estimated him at 300 pounds plus or minus 25 pounds.
And me, I was in total disbelief that I had killed a buck that big. I felt like I was glowing.
That was the way it was back then, a deer in a pickup was a thing of wonder to be driven around with the tailgate down. Those days will never come again.
No photo taken that day remains in my possession.
But I have something better to remember that cold November morning when a very young man met a buck that grunted like a hog.
DSCN0035.jpg

sjrwinder

Driving home near sunset the sky light blue , purple ,yellow after pheasant hunting with Duke (my first black lab)laying on the seat with his head in my lap.Then him moving and boy did my lap get cold. Every time I have named that color sunset Dukes Sunset.
The ride to ducking hunting with my brother shooting the breeze with my brother just before the ducks start coming into the decoys.
Darn I miss him so much.