Shad kill

Scout'nStripers

It depends on water temps. The only time on Lanier is in the late winter if the water gets cold enough. Right now the water temps are mid 40's. If it gets down into the lower 40's to upper 30's we will experience a shad kill this year, otherwise little to no shad kill.

Last edited:

goshenmountainman

Saw a few in the back of Latham Creek area Friday morning, about a dozen. Don't know what happened to them they were just scattered in one cove with a deep ditch running to the back. Thought it was kind of odd to see them in 48 degree water.

Philhutch80

Banned
There is a twice a year chance. The first opportunity is in winter if the entire lake bottom to top reaches 43 degrees. We need probably a good 4-6wk cold snap of REALLY cold temps for that.
The other is during the late summer time period when the thermocline meet the anoxic layer in the lake. This happened last summer and happens on high rain summers. The bait fish get pushed down the water column looking for the thermocline but there isn’t enough oxygen so they get sucked through the dam. Hope that helps.

Skeeter XRi

The other is during the late summer time period when the thermocline meet the anoxic layer in the lake. This happened last summer and happens on high rain summers. The bait fish get pushed down the water column looking for the thermocline but there isn’t enough oxygen so they get sucked through the dam.
Do you have more information on this? I’ve never heard it before and am interested to learn more. Is it possible to recognize this situation from a boat?
Since the bait has to be below the thermocline and the predator fish would logically be above it, I assume the forging on dead shad doesn’t occur as it does in winter right? Or am I thinking wrong?

Thx!
Jim

Scout'nStripers

There is a twice a year chance. The first opportunity is in winter if the entire lake bottom to top reaches 43 degrees. We need probably a good 4-6wk cold snap of REALLY cold temps for that.
The other is during the late summer time period when the thermocline meet the anoxic layer in the lake. This happened last summer and happens on high rain summers. The bait fish get pushed down the water column looking for the thermocline but there isn’t enough oxygen so they get sucked through the dam. Hope that helps.
Been fishing the lake for 21 years and never heard of a summer shad kill on Lanier. Is there more information on this you could post specific to Lanier? I've seen bluebacks die during extreme heat but never seen a shad kill in the summer.

Philhutch80

Banned
Been fishing the lake for 21 years and never heard of a summer shad kill on Lanier. Is there more information on this you could post specific to Lanier? I've seen bluebacks die during extreme heat but never seen a shad kill in the summer.

Of course you wouldn’t because you are on the lake, lol. Those fish get blown through the turbines and into the river below along with dead walleye as well. There were plenty of pictures on Instagram showing this. Heck I caught a fat 16” brown with a herring in its throat I pulled out. Several other anglers found dead walleye on the bank near the dam. We have also seen small schools of blue backs swimming in the river though the majority were dead or dying. Apparently this is an incredibly rare event though and has only happened a couple times the past 25yrs.

Attachments

• 69F039E5-691C-42C7-AFBB-F747761F4C33.jpeg
    69F039E5-691C-42C7-AFBB-F747761F4C33.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 66316387-DD33-4B99-9425-F98AA49140B0.jpeg
    66316387-DD33-4B99-9425-F98AA49140B0.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 13