Shades of WW2

turkeykirk

When I first started deer hunting my first rifle was an old WW2 8mm German Mauser that my Dad bought for $25 at a local hardware store. Always wondered what stories it could tell if it could talk.9E3F5902-8F82-463A-81CD-A7A8774AE802.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Sir, that is way cool. I can just imagine the history it might have been involved with.

Hillbilly stalker

I’ve got a Swedish Mauser 6.5x55. I’ve often wondered the same thing. That’s a nice rifle you have.

WaltL1

If you aren't already aware , you will probably be quite surprised at the value of that $25 Mauser these days, particularly if it is in unaltered, original condition.
While new rifle prices have basically come down, surplus rifle values have gone up, up, up.

krizia829

That is so awesome! Never let that one go!

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
my 8mm Yugo mauser is one of my favorite guns I own!

PappyHoel

My grandad brought one home with him after ww2. He had it sporterized in the late 50s. I have it in my collection now. It still shoots deer and puts big big holes in them.

The family story is that it was a battlefield pickup by my grandad.

Stroker

I remember in the late 60's, early 70's when you could go into Kmart and they had big cardboard barrels full of them, stuffed in muzzle down. German and Jap 7 and 8 mm. Best I remember they were $15-20. Plenty of cheap ammo to go with them. Wished I'd bought a few.

nmurph

I shot at my first deer with a 6.5 Arisaka my Dad brought home from WWII. A relative re-appropriated it at some point. It was in very nice condition, and was complete with the mum still intact. I'm watching GB and I'll pick one up at some point. Oh yeah, that deer made it to safety and I never did kill a deer with it.

Hillbilly stalker

Killed my first deer with a borrowed one when I was just a chap. I forgot exactly what they looked like. Thanks

WaltL1

I shot at my first deer with a 6.5 Arisaka my Dad brought home from WWII. A relative re-appropriated it at some point. It was in very nice condition, and was complete with the mum still intact. I'm watching GB and I'll pick one up at some point. Oh yeah, that deer made it to safety and I never did kill a deer with it.
Its getting tough these days to find one that still has the mum intact.
They are around but collectors typically hang on to them.

bradleyjanes06

Got a 303 from a friend this year. It's a 303 made in the US unfortunately it was sporterized as they call it but had to have it. My grandfather in law was a sharp shooter in WW2 and he always talked about his 303 said he wouldn't want any other gun. So when my buddy said he had one he wanted to sell I jumped on it.

westcobbdog

I remember in the late 60's, early 70's when you could go into Kmart and they had big cardboard barrels full of them, stuffed in muzzle down. German and Jap 7 and 8 mm. Best I remember they were $15-20. Plenty of cheap ammo to go with them. Wished I'd bought a few.
My little M1 carbine came from Kmart on Roswell Rd in Sandy Springs in the early 70’s.

WaltL1

Got a 303 from a friend this year. It's a 303 made in the US unfortunately it was sporterized as they call it but had to have it. My grandfather in law was a sharp shooter in WW2 and he always talked about his 303 said he wouldn't want any other gun. So when my buddy said he had one he wanted to sell I jumped on it.
Yep a lot of them got sporterized. Years ago they were dirt cheap so folks just cut the stocks down for hunting rifles. Nobody ever imagined they would be worth anything.