Share the Tradition

Long Cut

There’s no denying hunter numbers have been steadily declining for many years now. Folks have been attacking our rights to hunt, bear arms and do what we Americans have done since the creation of this great Country.

I was fortunate enough to get brought into hunting on family lands as a young kid. Not many folks have had the same privilege as myself and many of us have had growing up.

So what I’m asking is this, take a new hunter into the woods with you this season. Be it deer, turkey or a simple squirrel hunt.. Pass on the traditions we all know and love to someone less fortunate.

Let’s face it, land isn’t getting any cheaper, public land can be a turn off for a first time hunter, especially if they’re going by themselves.. and lease prices are flat out outrageous.

Do the right thing and share what beautiful natural resources this country has to offer.

End rant..

jbogg

Good message! I have taken several of my sons friends when they were younger since their fathers didn’t hunt. Nothing better than being there when someone gets their first deer.

bubbafowler

I lost all my turkey lands this way!! I'd take a new hunter on their own land and teach them to turkey hunt until they could do it on their own. Done this with several properties. More fun to be with them and teach them and enjoy their excitement than it is to hunt alone and limit out. Most die hard turkey hunters would rather have the extra land but I still get excited when they call me and tell me about their hunts or send pictures.

lancek742

I try to get at lest 1 new person out in the woods and on the water with me every year. There is always someone that has wanted to learn

reflexman

Snake Dodger
Yeah I told my boys years ago and nephews and nieces get high on life not drugs and tried to get as many of them out in the woods and on the water lots of young lives being lost these days due to idle minds and drugs

charlie81

Well, I’m not a very good hunter. I just started a few years ago and pretty much learned on my own (with a littlW help from my FIL). I’ve tried to get my friends interested in it but, it’s hard to get someone involved when they aren’t shooting anything. Or seeing anything for that matter. Lol

charlie81

I’ve tried to get my stepkids (soon to be ex-step kids) to get into hunting. They love checking the cameras and going to the club but I can’t get them to sit and hunt with me, no matter how much fun I try to make it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
All the years that I did primitive skills, early American history, Native American lore and weapons, flintknapping, friction fire, and other skills associated with how it used to be, in programs at schools all over Southwest Georgia up to Columbus, I always incorporated hunting, fishing, and trapping into everything I taught. The legacy of hunting must never be put aside.

I can only hope I swayed some of the young people into the hunting world.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Well, I’m not a very good hunter. I just started a few years ago and pretty much learned on my own (with a littlW help from my FIL). I’ve tried to get my friends interested in it but, it’s hard to get someone involved when they aren’t shooting anything. Or seeing anything for that matter. Lol
Keep at it! Every season you'll get better & better.

We love getting new adult hunters involved in the industry. Just starting another new one this year in our club. And another thing, as a teacher I talk about deer hunting all the time when we are on the way to the school farm or walking to the wood and welding shops, and it is amazing at the number of kids who want to hunt but their dad is too busy to hunt or refuses to take their child with them. We have to get this younger generation outdoors or we will be in a mess in 20 years. We all need to do our part.

Mark K

Banned
I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t hunt, lol.
Did introduce a buddy to turkeys a few years ago and he’s eat up with it and is a turkey killing machine now.
I think everyone I grew up with hunted too. Thought every one hunted.

buckpasser

My goal with my kids is to AT LEAST teach them how to hunt and fish. We’ve had a great start so far. It would be an awesome bonus to me if they have a passion for hunting as adults as well. I’ve also introduced some other young family members into hunting at various times. Most of them were one hit wonders. My hope is that a seed was planted and that they at least won’t become part of anti-hunting lobby and possibly even seriously begin their careers once they’re old enough and out of their nonhunting households.

Something else to consider is how much some of the people we might consider strange are really into non GMO organic meat and diets. Wild game is bringing/can bring some of these adults into the fold and turn them from foe to friend politically speaking.

35 Whelen

Both my grandchildren, 12 and 5, have been trout fishing with me (both successful and enjoyed it) and the 12 year old has been to the shooting range with me and did well with a 22 magnum. She did not want to try the 243 after seeing me shoot it and right now does not relish the idea of shooting a deer, however may be willing to shoot a squirrel. Slowly and with patience is what it takes sometimes with kids nowadays.