Sharks

WalkinDead

Banned
Tried shark fishing out in front of Jekyll Island East beach among the bars today. Still a bit early, water temp 67 ish. Did manage to hook up one black tip and one Spinner both 5+ feet free lining live pogies caught in the area.

Scallen2112

Water temp was still 68 degrees, but the big girls are moving in. That spinner was STRONG! The surprise was finding schools of pogies already. We had no trouble filling the livewell. We also saw a tripletail on top, but we got too close to it before we realized what it was.

Ihunt

Patiently waiting on some mid 70s water temp. I enjoy those Blacktips

WalkinDead

Banned
Went back today to Jekyll's north beach and fished from 7am till about 3:30 pm. Managed 5 sharpnose about 30" long, one stingray, and enough whiting and croaker to keep us in bait. Most of the bites were sand gnats and crabs.
Just killing time till shrimping starts up again...

Ihunt

Any water temp updates? It should be heating up nicely.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I went on a guided Tarpon trip years ago. We caught sharks as fast as you could reel them in for a couple of hours each day. We were in sight of the beach at Jekyll. I said yep I'm never getting in that water again.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I went on a guided Tarpon trip years ago. We caught sharks as fast as you could reel them in for a couple of hours each day. We were in sight of the beach at Jekyll. I said yep I'm never getting in that water again.
Top of the food chain is best! Only salt water I get in is Epson salt.

Day trip

Any water temp updates? It should be heating up nicely.
Water was 73 degrees out of Wassaw sound on Saturday. Caught one 3ft sharpnose and about a dozen 1-2 ft bonnet heads while trying to catch whiting (which were also biting). The rays are definitely in. Caught 2 larger than a man hole cover which gave my kids a great 15 minute battle. Also had 2 of those large rays leap 4-5 ft out of the water about 50 yds from the boat.

Ihunt

Water was 73 degrees out of Wassaw sound on Saturday. Caught one 3ft sharpnose and about a dozen 1-2 ft bonnet heads while trying to catch whiting (which were also biting). The rays are definitely in. Caught 2 larger than a man hole cover which gave my kids a great 15 minute battle. Also had 2 of those large rays leap 4-5 ft out of the water about 50 yds from the boat.

Thanks for the update.

Cumberlandjg

Fished North Cumberland this past weekend, tons of bait fish in the area, caught probably 6 Bonnetheads, biggest one around 3-4 ft. Landed about 25 whiting with 10 nice keepers and 1 red. Saw a Mantra Ray jump out of the water as well. Never seen that before. Heard a lot of it has been going on at the South End as well.

Scallen2112

Fished North Cumberland this past weekend, tons of bait fish in the area, caught probably 6 Bonnetheads, biggest one around 3-4 ft...

Keep an eye on your big Bonnetheads. I don't think a lot of people know this, but the all tackle world record Bonnethead is only 28 lbs - caught by a 13 year old in 2012 from the ICW down in Daytona. I had one break an inshore rod after it took a live shrimp while I was fishing for specks that was probably close.

Cumberlandjg

Keep an eye on your big Bonnetheads. I don't think a lot of people know this, but the all tackle world record Bonnethead is only 28 lbs - caught by a 13 year old in 2012 from the ICW down in Daytona. I had one break an inshore rod after it took a live shrimp while I was fishing for specks that was probably close.

Interesting, I've never even really worried about keeping them or measuring. This one was a decent size. I'll have to start weighing them up.