Sheep hunting

Thread starter #1
I'm learning this forum slowly.
I am new to the forum.
Looks good and very diverse. My son and I go sheep hunting in the Rockies in Alberta every year. Self guided on foot.
We see a lot of sheep.
A couple of years ago we were on a very steep incline with the sheep below us.
The conditions were very windy with gusts of 40mph winds.
The wind was coming straight up the approx 60 degree slope. The only way to shoot was sitting, with small pack on feet aiming down. The sheep were about 120 to 130 yards away.
Anyway the shot was missed and the sheep looked around and went down an even steeper slope. This was a shock.
Now the conventional wisdom states that a head wind has no effect, but I'm wondering if the extreme wind speed coming up the steep hill could have had an effect. I don't know about turbulence with wind coming up a hill.
7mm Remington Magnum with 154 grain with a little red tip and approx 3000 fps. Someone said the steep angle would have the bullet shoot higher.
Sighted 0 at 200. We shot it at camp and it was on.
Our elevation was 2140m (harsh climb) around 6800 ft.
The sheep had come in below us and we happened to look back the way we came. It was a sheep pasture high up. Early September, weather was moderate around 40f
Maybe it was just a bad shot.
Anyway any thoughts would be welcome.
Regards
Tagati

I don't believe the angle at 130 yards will affect your POI so much it would cause a clean miss. I also understand a straight on wind doesn't affect POI either. I think it was mostly a shooter error compounded with extreme conditions, but mostly shooter. 130 isn't an extreme range for winds, even strong winds, to cause a significant shift in POI. There's just not enough travel time to affect it a whole lot and not enough distance for the angle to to cause a distance in travel with appreciable amounts of drop. A 40 mph crosswind at that distance will only be 4-5 inches.

Thread starter #3
Thanks for that, appreciated.
It was rather hectic at the time.
Couldn't believe our luck as it was the first day and we were still climbing.
Remember to relax!
Cheers

Tagati

I don't believe the angle at 130 yards will affect your POI so much it would cause a clean miss. I also understand a straight on wind doesn't affect POI either. I think it was mostly a shooter error compounded with extreme conditions, but mostly shooter. 130 isn't an extreme range for winds, even strong winds, to cause a significant shift in POI. There's just not enough travel time to affect it a whole lot and not enough distance for the angle to to cause a distance in travel with appreciable amounts of drop. A 40 mph crosswind at that distance will only be 4-5 inches.

That's a great reference. As pointed out in the article, the angle is a concern at long range. At point blank range, as with this scenario, it's negligible. 300+ you really have to start worrying about angle and windage.