shocks

holton27596

I was told I needed new shocks for my 2010 f150. price was 800-1000. sounds high to me, but its been years since I got a new set. at dealership.

chadf

Stay away from the stealership !

What's your mileage ?
What's the problems your having ?

NOYDB

BANNED
Shocks very seldom actually fail or break. But they do wear out/get weak. Shop, get quotes/references.

Request specific parts to be quoted.

Standard shocks start around $40. Replacing struts and coils adds more. Labor can add up if you are going from the flat rate book.

Last edited by a moderator:

rjcruiser

Shocks? or Struts?

I used to think that Struts were something only a shop could do (due to the coils needing to be compressed). However, they now sell the entire coil/strut assy and they're not that pricey. Way way easy to change on your own. I just did mine for my 2008 Yukon. Think they were around $300 for the pair and it probably took me 2 hours to do.

kc65

Shocks? or Struts?

I used to think that Struts were something only a shop could do (due to the coils needing to be compressed). However, they now sell the entire coil/strut assy and they're not that pricey. Way way easy to change on your own. I just did mine for my 2008 Yukon. Think they were around $300 for the pair and it probably took me 2 hours to do.

cool. I need to look into this, struts are reasonably priced for my tacoma but the labor is 450$...

Fronts are coil/struts and I just had mine changed @ 100,000 (2004 FX4). Cost me around $500 installed by a small shop I trust. My rears are still firm and don't need replacing, but I seldom carry anything more than light loads and have trailed very little with my truck.

humdandy

Banned
Shocks? or Struts?

I have a 2008 Yukon and did my brakes and shocks..........I was shocked (no pun intended) on how easy both were to do!

Lilly001

Shocks are usualy very easy.
My 01 Silverado with 122k is still running originals.
My tires are wearing fine and I have no post bump bounce so I'll run them until I see a problem.
After market shocks can be real cheap or real expensive depending on how fancy you want them to look.

Lukikus2

You can buy a engineered off road kit that comes with every thing for that kind of money. Mine are shot. I'm looking.

Artfuldodger

I'm a bit confused as I thought your truck has shock/struts on the front and shocks on the back. I guess they could be talking about just replacing the shock from within the strut assembly.

Like the others have suggested, instead of paying someone to do this which involves compressing the springs, which should be changed with the front shocks, just buy the strut assemblies.

You might pay more for the parts but then you can do it yourself saving in labor. Safer too not having to compress those springs. It may even be cheaper that route even if a garage does it.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
A 2010 F-150 has Struts in the front. Needs to be done by a shop that can perform an alignment after the repair. The rear are just normal shocks and could be done easily by the owner with the required tools. Make sure they include the alignment in with your price so you are not surprised after the fact.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
If you are at all mechanically inclined, it's not a hard job.

1. Buy a set of Bilsteins for your application online (struts front, shocks rear)
2. google a DIY on how to put them on
3. rent any tools you need from the vatozone (likely spring compressors)
4. Do it yourself, probably done before lunch on an early start
5. Get it aligned
6. Save a few hundred bucks

Ball joints are probably a pain but it wouldn't hurt to replace them if you have the capacity while it's all taken apart.

rjcruiser

If you are at all mechanically inclined, it's not a hard job.

1. Buy a set of Bilsteins for your application online (struts front, shocks rear)
2. google a DIY on how to put them on
3. rent any tools you need from the vatozone (likely spring compressors)
4. Do it yourself, probably done before lunch on an early start
5. Get it aligned
6. Save a few hundred bucks

Ball joints are probably a pain but it wouldn't hurt to replace them if you have the capacity while it's all taken apart.

The price difference between the strut/spring assy and just the strut isn't much and the hazard of operating spring compressors is great....I would spend the few extra dollars and replace the entire assy.

Lots of things can go wrong when you start trying to compress springs.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
The price difference between the strut/spring assy and just the strut isn't much and the hazard of operating spring compressors is great....I would spend the few extra dollars and replace the entire assy.

Lots of things can go wrong when you start trying to compress springs.

Didn't even think about that. The whole assembly is definitely the "easy button". Looks like he can probably get assemblies for ~$150 a side if you shop around :cheers:

skeeter24

I know that Bilsteins are very popular with truck enthusiasts. What about KYB Strut assemblies? Monroe and Gabriel also offer strut assemblies.

http://www.kyb.com/products/strut-plus/

I used to run Bilsteins. They were pretty good for a lifted or leveled out truck. When I leveled my current truck (2500HD) I bit the bullet and went with Fox shocks. They sure were expensive but man they ride good. Sometimes you get what you pay for.