Shooting the roost

flatsmaster

Roost can be any of those depending on duck but refers to where they sleep .... I had a slough in Ms that woodducks would roost in ... gone just before or right at shooting light and pour back in about 15 min after legal shooting in evening ... jump shooting ducks to me there is no sport ... see them sneak around pond and kill them ... if u see some come back the next morning and set up ...once you have some open up and go feet down you won't get any enjoyment jump shooting ducks ... if feet in ur face doesn't make a difference you prolly won't think much of duck hunting ... my 2 cents

paulito

nothing wrong with jump shooting birds. can it be easy.....yes. You can also stalk along for a long ways only to get busted and never get a shot.

for me there is nothing better to get the fire burning in a young hunter than having them sit and watch a good roost spot. sitting and watching birds pour in and interact with each other......doesn't get any better.

as far as shooting a roost, it can be done and not mess up your spot but it takes much more discipline than a lot of duck hunters have. If we shoot it, it will only be once or maybe twice a season. we typically also stop shooting before the legal end. typically if you have good roost spot, the bulk of the birds coming into to roost will be arriving AFTER legal shooting hours.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It’s not just ducks that legal shooting hours end at sunset it’s all migratory birds

The term "roost". Does it refer to trees? or pond or lake they rest on?
Also, it it considered un ethical to jump ducks from a pond midday and shoot at them?
I jumped a couple the other day and scared the poopoo out of me, Ill be ready next time.
I have been duck hunting for 58 years now and have hunted all over the world . Roost shooting refers to hunting a pond or swamp late in the afternoon on into evening. Roost shooting or shooting a roost has always meant that you were shooting ducks where they were resting during the hours of darkness. Jump shooting from a boat not under power or sneaking up on a pond in mid day is jump shooting as far as unethical I have never heard that jump shooting is considered unethical. Now running a motor or being under sail is considered unethical and illegal. If you are paddling a boat or a skiff or you are polling a boat it is not illegal and jump shooting a pot hole out west is not illegal or unethical.