Short Trip in the Smokies

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Went out awhile yesterday morning. My elbow has been afflicted with a severe bout of tendonitis lately that has had me drinking coffee left-handed and saying unpleasant words every time I try to pick up something with my right arm. So no heavy-duty fishing, but I did want to get out awhile.

Pulled up at a trailhead in the Smokies right at daylight. It was cloudy, foggy, and drizzly. Walking up the trail, water dripped from the trees overhead, and I was overwhelmed with all the life that thrives on the moisture that constantly saturates this dark, always-damp forest.

Giant slugs 4"-5" long were crawling on the trees:

slug.jpg

Mosses and huge liverworts are growing everywhere:

liverwort.jpg

Cinnabar chanterelles were sprinkled through the duff on the forest floor:

cinnibars.jpg

Giant 6" millipedes the size of your thumb that look like something from a tropical rain forest and smell like maraschino cherries:

millipede.jpg

Evening primrose flowers are still open in the foggy half-light:

primrose.jpg

Butterflies are fluttering everywhere:

butterflies2.jpg

Even butterflies on butterflies:

butterflies.jpg

The creek is high from the overnight rain, and a bit off-color, but just right for nymph fishing:

creek.jpg

At streamside, curious patterns of root, rock, moss, and lichen:

roots.jpg

How many years does it take a handful of pebbles to wear out a circular hole 4" deep in a creek boulder? Hundreds? Thousands? Millions?

hole1.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As I waded out into the creek, the sun was beginning to break through the darkness, fog and mist:

sunbeam.jpg

Yes, I fished some. This creek was teeming with 7"-11" rainbows that came regularly to the fly, along with the occasional small brown.

bow1.jpg

bow2.jpg

bow3.jpg

The fishing climax of the day came when I approached a deep dark hole. The water shot in at a 90* angle through a narrow chute between two boulders, then swirled as it hit a cliff that had a submerged log laying alongside of it. I cast a pair of nymphs into the foam at the head of the pool, and as they drifted into the deep recess beneath the log, the leader twitched sideways and I felt a sharp tug. I set the hook, and got a head-shake in return. A good sign. The pool soon erupted as a 16" brown broke the surface, then dove for the depths, trying to reach his refuge under the log. I had him on my top fly. There was another nymph trailing a foot below it. As he ran for the log and I tried to turn him, he managed to get the loose bottom fly snagged solidly on a branch of the submerged log. There was nothing I could do. I watched for a couple minutes as he writhed and turned three feet under water, caught between my rod and the point fly stuck firmly in the log. Then suddenly, he broke the dropper tippet and was gone. Then, I had to break off the other fly caught in the underwater limb.

But, that's fishing. If it always worked out right, you'd get bored, I guess.

I fished on upstream for awhile, feeling every cast in my aching elbow.

I found where a one-legged fisherman had been abducted by aliens? Their tractor beam yanked that poor sucker right out of his Chota wading boot:

boot.jpg

Shortly before noon, some very nasty-sounding thunder started cracking and popping over the ridge, and echoing up and down the narrow, steep valley I was in. A big cloud rolled over the ridge and it turned dark as night. I was about two and a half miles from my truck, and this didn't sound like a good storm to weather in a rhododendron thicket. So, I wrapped it up and made tracks back to the trailhead, arriving at my truck just as huge raindrops started spatting on the ground, and streaks of lightning forked down from the heavens. Not a bad way to spend a morning. As I pulled out of the trailhead parking area, the woods were greedily drinking the rain. It's all about the water. Magic water. Photosynthesis, creeks, trout, slugs, insects, flowers, butterflies, and fishermen-they're all fueled by the water.

I love the woods and don't want to leave them.

woods.jpg

Last edited:

Swamprat

Swamprat
I am jealous...wished I lived in a area to experience all that....I am stuck with sea trout, reds, and flounder in a landscape that is very boring compared to that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am jealous...wished I lived in a area to experience all that....I am stuck with sea trout, reds, and flounder in a landscape that is very boring compared to that.
I find all that stuff exotic, and love it and thrive on it when I get a chance to experience it. I love the salt creeks and marshes, too.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I find all that stuff exotic, and love it and thrive on it when I get a chance to experience it. I love the salt creeks and marshes, too.

And your stuff I find exotic and calming. Yeah I know your fish ain't monsters but just getting to them and the patience and effort makes them a trophy. have fished a few times out of St. Marks with a friend and you could literally go all day without seeing or hearing another boat depending where you ran.

lonewolf247

Absolute great way to spend the day! Top quality pics btw! Definitely don't look like cell phone pics.:sneaky:

Nice fish too!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And your stuff I find exotic and calming. Yeah I know your fish ain't monsters but just getting to them and the patience and effort makes them a trophy. have fished a few times out of St. Marks with a friend and you could literally go all day without seeing or hearing another boat depending where you ran.
You are surprised every now and then by a big bruiser trout. They are here in good numbers in places, but I prefer to fish these isolated little creeks with small wild trout most of the time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Absolute great way to spend the day! Top quality pics btw! Definitely don't look like cell phone pics.:sneaky:

Nice fish too!
Nope, my cellphone stays in my truck when I'm wading slick mountain creeks. No signal in most places I fish, anyway. I have a little pocket-sized Olympus TG-5 waterproof camera that does pretty good.

Swamprat

Swamprat
That was kinda what I was hinting at...know you prefer the solitude of them smaller isolated creeks where the fish ain't huge but the quiet is better. Would rather be in that environment.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I would have been on high alert approaching an abandoned boot. That's mighty curious.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would have been on high alert approaching an abandoned boot. That's mighty curious.
Yes, yes it was. It made me wonder a good bit, and look around vigorously. Looked almost brand new, but only about a size 8. And just one? Things that make you go hmmmm.

Big7

The Oracle
NCH, What a fantastic story and beautiful pictures. Hope you had fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Almost felt like I was there. You need to write a book. I don't have that kind of patience.

deerhuntingdawg

You sure takes some beautiful pictures!! I hate you lost that Brown. I would have love to see in your hand with those camera shot you make!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You sure takes some beautiful pictures!! I hate you lost that Brown. I would have to see him I’m your have with those camera shot you make!!
There's plenty more of 'em.