shot placement for turkey

matthewmagness

Ok I have killed a few deer with my bow.Trying turkey now where do you guys who turkey hunt with your bow put your arrow through the bird?

markland

Just above and forward of the hips on a broadside bird, almost right in the middle of the body. Facing you just below the beard and going away right under the poop chute!
Turkeys vitals are much lower and further back then you would think a hit in the forward portion of the bird results in nothing more then breast meat and gobble box. All targets seem to project the kill zone as being around the wing butt, which is great, if you hit it but that is a thumbnail sized target and a hit above, below or in front of it will hit nothing vital!

chefrific

PhotoMay03115405AM_zps0d74f3b0.jpg

Turkeyshotplacement3_zpsf04cb206.jpg

Turkeyshotplacement2_zps281245a8.jpg

Turkeyshotplacement1_zps978a1d6b.jpg

turkeyaimpointsbow_zps193c2bfe.jpg

Last edited:

markland

We actually did field autopsies on birds we had killed back when we started shooting them and loosing them with bows and the vitals are definitely much lower then what is showed in most diagrams and pics. Like the pics above, show the vitals much higher on the body then they really are. When you open up a turkey the heart is actually resting just about right on top of the hips and is much lower then what is shown.

Bow Only

I go up the leg and shoot center mass. If you miss low, you take out the legs and he can't fly. If you miss high, you spine him and he goes down right there. It's definitely lower than the pics.

markland

I go up the leg and shoot center mass. If you miss low, you take out the legs and he can't fly. If you miss high, you spine him and he goes down right there. It's definitely lower than the pics.

Nailed it!