Shotgun opinions

Mark K

Banned
I think a lot of the issues now a days is the guns of old aren’t the guns of new.
I hear people talk about bad with every brand, even the high end guns. My Benelli’s bluing is coming off, it’s been used that much and that long. It used to be cleaned after each duck season whether it needed it or not. You wouldn’t believe the junk that would come out of that gun when cleaning, lol. Now, some of the newer guns I’ve heard were junk and issues right out of the box.
I’m sure it’s the same with every brand. I even read something about Kimber pistols. I own 2 and never had a hiccup after the first few magazines run through them. But then again, these are somewhat older pistols.
Never owned a Mossberg for the simple reason the “one” I did use about dislocated my shoulder. And I used 3.5” shells for duck hunting back then in my Benelli, lol.

Wayne D Davis

ok... so?

If a gun shoots where you point it, you don't need to pack around 10 pounds of artillery or "quick back up shots".

RWB%20Turkey%202016%2093%20a_zpshv8zn6gy.jpg

I own a dozen Remington shot guns of all sorts, a half dozen Ithicas, and a half dozen single shot H&R and NEF guns.

I've owned a half dozen Mossbergs including the LAST ONE I'LL EVER OWN, an 835 and every single one of them shot a foot or more off the point of aim at 25 yards no matter who shot them. Every single one of them had a crap trigger on it like a nail hanging out the bottom of a rattling 2x4. If you like that, then you like it. Go on and love it. Wish I'd known how much you like junk when I was trying to get rid of every single one of them. I had to nearly gave away that brand new last one after shooting it 25 times. I could stand to look at the ***. Never again.

Sorry if this hurts some feelings. I tried to sugar coat it for the 'bergers but ya just got to keep on and keep on asking for it. That is about as plain as I can put it.
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones... . Mine is 20 yrs old and works like a champ to this day.... never had an issue. Only rattle if you bang it against something or cycle a round into the chamber

buckpasser

Your POA/ POI will be slightly off with half the shotguns you buy, no matter what brand. Buy whatever shotgun you like and put some adjustable sights, a scope, or a red dot on it if the POI is off. My main turkey gun, at the moment, is an SX3. It shoots about 8" high with the barrel bead. I put a Burris FF3 on it and solved the problem.

Concerning patterns, the Mossberg 835 can't be beat. I have one in the cabinet now that will out pattern any shotgun I've ever owned. I had to modify it to make it feed reliably though. I added an aftermarket magazine spring, aluminum shell follower, and filed down the lip on the cartridge stop. The triggers on those guns are horrible as well, you might want to replace the stock hammer and trigger springs with a $20 mcarbo spring kit. BTW, it needed a scope as well.

I would agree with you on the trigger with the exception of the turkey thug edition. It has the little trigger in trigger design and is very crisp. I only bought it because someone stole my old one out of my truck (later recovered it believe it or not), and it was right in the middle of turkey season. My phone was buzzing in my vest while a gobbler was coming in one evening. After I Killed him I checked my voicemail and it was the detective telling me he had all my stuff. That was a great moment!

lonewolf247

I'm pretty old school when it comes to shotguns. My favorite 12 gauge is the Remington 1100, in 3" mag, with a 30" full barrel, and vent rib. I've never seen a shotgun that patterns fine shot like this shotgun.

My favorite 20 Gauge is the Franchi 48AL. Light as a feather, and patterns both fine shot and buckshot well.

These are the two first shotguns I've ever owned, and both are over 35 years old. The Browning A-5's were great shotguns too, I just never could get used shooting the humpback style.

Attachments

• 82FB42D4-C6B1-4BB4-B2F0-A27AED897CF9.jpeg
    82FB42D4-C6B1-4BB4-B2F0-A27AED897CF9.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
"I'm pretty old school when it comes to shotguns. My favorite 12 gauge is the Remington 1100, in 3" mag, with a 30" full barrel, and vent rib. I've never seen a shotgun that patterns fine shot like this shotgun. "

X2!

I sent my gun to Rhino and had a choke made for it. It is an awesome weapon and a turkey killer.

Timber1

BANNED
Usually I just close my eyes and reach in the gun safe and grab one. I pay more attention to the boots I'm wearing than to which gun I carry in the woods.

lonewolf247

"I'm pretty old school when it comes to shotguns. My favorite 12 gauge is the Remington 1100, in 3" mag, with a 30" full barrel, and vent rib. I've never seen a shotgun that patterns fine shot like this shotgun. "

X2!

I sent my gun to Rhino and had a choke made for it. It is an awesome weapon and a turkey killer.

I was lucky enough to buy two barrels from a guy for $40 a piece. One was brand new in box, and the other looks like it wasn't used but a couple times. I gave the 30" full barrel to my dad, and kept the 28" modified for myself. Now I have a full and a modified. The modified barrel is 2 3/4" and it should allow me to shoot light loads out of my magnum shotgun. Haven't tried it yet though.

tr21

Polishing the barrel definitely helps. That load was my "go-to" before Apex came along.
yea I ordered a box of 25 a few years ago $165, figured they'll last me at least 8 yrs

M1KL83

Recently purchased a Beretta 1301 Tactical that has a short 18.5" barrel with Optima HP choke threading. I'd like it to double as a turkey gun so I'm on the hunt to find it's perfect mate of a Turkey choke.
I'm under the impression that shorter barrel guns perform better with tighter constriction chokes but I'd like to know other's opinion on this?
So far on the short list is Jebs .650, Rhino .660, Indian Creek .650 - .670 (whichever constriction I ask for), Müller offers a 60 day money back offer similar to Jebs so I may try a Müller as well.
My 22" Browning BPS wears a .665 Indian Creek and it patterns well.
I will most likely be using Long Beard XR #5 or #6.

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated!