Shotgun 'Yotes

7dawg9

Got invited to thin some 'yotes in NC. Area is shotgun only. I know you guys will have the answer for Gauge, Load, Set-up, etc. Electronic calling is legal.

dadsbuckshot

Carlsons Dead Coyote Choke Tube with the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T Loads.... 12 gauge - it works best with the 3.5 inch shells.

I don't mind paying for the hevi-shot though...

At least it works well for me - to each their own.

Other than that set up like you would for Turkey hunting and get you some rabbit and turkey decoys and a hand held mouse squeeker and your electronic calls.

Trial and error on the calling - have fun...

dadsbuckshot

what is the effective killing range with buckshot?

In my mossberg 935 with the carlson's dead coyote choke tube and the Hevi-Shot dead coyote buckshot I am getting kills out to 60 yards from my gun. I usually don't have shots that far, but this past squirrel season I killed a yote with this set-up around the 57-60 yard mark...

Some like hevi-shot some don't....

cmghunter

X2 on the hevi-shot....A little expensive,but worth the price...Can't say about the 3.5s....The 3s kick the laces loose on your boots....

dadsbuckshot

X2 on the hevi-shot....A little expensive,but worth the price...Can't say about the 3.5s....The 3s kick the laces loose on your boots....

:rofl: NO DOUBT!!! The 3.5 is a shoulder full :cool: Especially with the hevi-shot...

But man when you hit em - you him em hard - its worth the exrta kick :p

However, if your gun doesn't shoot 3.5s then the 3 inch will work great!!! Both will kill just the same :biggrin2:

cmghunter

Something about the 3.5s that make me keep a firm grip on the gun during the night hunts..That recoil and a scope can leave QUITE an impression on you...

chase870

Possum Sox
rolled a yote in a country I wasnt supposed to with dead coyote 3.5 load at 70+ yards, didnt kill him right away but it did knock him into the dirt and left an impressive bloood trail. If you dont want to spend the money on hevi shot 2 oz of #4 in a superfull turky choke is pretty mean stuff