Shotshell Reloading

Thread starter #1

Whiteboy

I think the last shotgun shells I loaded were sometime Around 1983. I don't recall the load data at that time specifying anything about the brand of hull for each load like it does now, but I believe I remember Win. AA crimped significantly better than anything else. Does that hold true today, or is there something newer and better? This would just be for 1 oz target loads.

AA are still the best, IMO. I recall in the 70s there were specific hulls, primers and wads for each load spec.

Thread starter #3

Whiteboy

Some things never change. I probably only had whatever instructions came with the lee load all at that time. I remember remington wanted to creep open on me when stored. I think I still have some of them. I'll order the AA. Thanks.

I am using a MEC Grabber now. back in the 70's I used a MEC 600 Jr.

Oldstick

If you mean the Lee shotshell loader with the fixed plastic dies, my experience was similar with the crimps. I think I bought that one in the 80s.

Couple years ago I switched to the MEC 600 and get perfect crimps every time with AA or Remington STS hulls. I assume the sharper edges of the metal crimp die makes a big difference.

JeffinPTC

I bought Fiocchi hulls 7 years ago because they were 8 cents each primed from
Ballistic Products.
They've been loaded at least 5x and I'm just starting to see problems. I threw out about 5% for rust etc last time. I'm moving to AA this time, starting with loaded ammo for the hulls . Winchester usually has a rebate in spring.
Another place for components is
Powder Valley.
I've also had good results from
Recob's Target Shop
If you call, Jeff Recob will probably answer. It's cold and snowy on the skeet fields in Wisconsin now.

Claybuster BB 1100-12 wads work as a replacement for WAA12SL 1 oz wads for much cheaper. Shipping is significant though.
Lead is also cheapest I've found from Recobs. $39 and 2 in a "If it fits, It Ships" for $14.
Nobel Sport Primers are cheapest. I've heard the old tale about American primers falling out if loaded after using European ones, but haven't used them to confirm.
Powder and primers require a $25 UPS Hazmat fee. Ammo, Primed hulls, do not. Something about density of the explosives.

Promo powder is an almost exact substitute for Red Dot. I use it for 12 Ga, 9mm and 45, etc. I use the Red Dot data but stay away from max. Supposedly its slightly different in density, so confirm your load by weight, not by bushing number.

And the grey AA hulls load differently than the Red.

Last edited:
Thread starter #7

Whiteboy

Thanks for the links and info. I have bought from some of these before, but didn't think about checking this morning when looking at shot prices. Cabelas has used AA hulls for 12.95 for 200. I need some other stuff, so I may get a back.

Jester896

I still have few of the old 1 piece AAs. I know I struggled a litle at first with the new ones and used some STS and Nitros too. I haven't loaded and in a while but the 2 piece just don't load as well as the old ones for me. As soon as I get things up and running in my new shop I will have easy access to my loader.

weagle

I don't know about 12ga, but I reload all my 28 ga AAs and I get at least 12 to 15 relaods out of them before they start splitting.

Quepos1

You all remind me of just how old I am. I bought a Lee Load All in the 1960s for around $12-$15.00 dollars and can't tell you how many shells I loaded with it. I was a teenager and shooting skeet in competition so I shot 15-20 rounds of skeet per week in practice. We shot 4 rounds per gauge in competition and I shot Winchester AA hulls only. In competition I bought new shells and used them to replenish my practice hulls. I also used 209 primers, AA wads, and 452 powder.

I don't think that powder is available any longer.

I still like the the Remington STS/Gunclubs better than AA (new style) in 20 gauge .... I will use the Federal Top Gun ..... if I load the euro type ....it is only for a few loads ....

the STS/Gun Clubs will load like the old AA compressed form ....

Thanks for the links and info. I have bought from some of these before, but didn't think about checking this morning when looking at shot prices. Cabelas has used AA hulls for 12.95 for 200. I need some other stuff, so I may get a back.
If by any chance you come up by Hartwell give me a shout, I have some 12ga AA & I'll be willing to give you a few.

I also prefer Remington sts for my 12's, 20's & 28's. They do better for me. As far as the crimp creeping back open in the remingtons that's more of a wad issue than a shell issue. If you have access to another wad try it.

could it also be column pressure?
It could be, too much pressure would crush the wad somewhat when being loaded causing the crimp to open back up after awhile. Could have also been that the STS was a tapered hull whereas the AA was a straight wall hull.

A lot has changed in the hulls since the op loaded back in the 80's. Winchester has completely redone their hulls and most wads had to be changed to accommodate the new ones. Now they are somewhat the same as the STS.

Jester896

Oh..that didn't cross my mind...I was thinking not enough and the wad was still sticking sticking up slightly causing it to unfold over a little bit from the pressure....more likely to happen in the tapered shell I think

tad1

You won't go wrong with remington hulls in 12 GA. Ultra durable and crimp as good as factory. AA are also still desirable. Basically find a recipe to work with the components you are using and roll with it. You won't save too much $ loading 12 or 20 GA unless you find some reclaimed shot and work on buying components in bulk and or on sale. Now for loading sub gauge like .410 or 28 you will save substantial by reloading. For sub gauge I load exclusively Win AA hulls and I try and buy the shells when winchester offers the $2/box rebate once a year. shoot then reload them.

tad1

Also as a side note, I believe all the 12 GA Remington hulls can be loaded the same, whether they are nitro gold, STS, or steel base gun clubs. Even the black hull remington promo loads. They all load great and last a long time. You should be able to pick up buckets full for free at shooting grounds.

Thread starter #19

Whiteboy

I had some of the gun club shells and loaded them along with some AA on a MEC Sizemaster. It does a lot better job than the old loader I used back then. All crimped perfectly. I had to go up to a larger powder bushing with red dot. Bushing charts seem to be a little off when weighing a charge.

I figure I'm not saving much, if anything, but I can shoot these loaded with 1 oz #9 all day. Never have shot anything clay except for out of a hand thrower years ago and had my own dove field back then, so I never really thought about trying much else. We've been skeet shooting the past few weekends and having a good time. The wife has been using my gun and said she can't tell she's been shooting after 25 shots with no recoil pad other than the piece of 3/8 in piece of plastic/rubber that came on the CZ.