Should convicted felons be able to vote

Should convicted felons be able to vote?

• Yes

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 27 67.5%

• Total voters
There is only one way I see as appropriate for restoring voting rights to a convicted felon - a Pardon. If a felon completes his sentence, stays clean, jumps through the hoops necessary to get the Governor's attention (or the President, for federal crimes) and receives a pardon - then certainly they should be allowed to vote - that is the law everywhere in the US.

Otherwise NO - - NO - - NO!

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Yes, Florida had a procedure for restoring voting rights. The convicted felon had to apply after 5-7 years of serving sentence (including probation). An application had to be submitted. The felon had to travel to Tallahassee to appear in person before the Clemency Board consisting of Gov. Scott and 4 members of his cabinet. The applicant had 10 minutes to present how his/her life had changed since the completion of the sentence. Gov. Scott started the proceedings with the preamble that there were no standards and that it was a "court of mercy." Having traffic tickets was a stated reason for not reinstatement although a reason didn't have to be given. One board member routinely asked: "do you go to church?" The board met 4 times a year and in the 4 years Scott was governor, there were 400 average per year reinstated. The previous governor reinstated about 100,000 during his term.

Big7

Not unless pardoned for a non violent felony. You can apply after 5 years (crime free). If not, I say no way. Thugs need not apply.

Jack Ryan

The only reason the majority says no here is yall are afraid they would all vote blue.

As far as Im concerned, as long as its not a violent crime and they have paid their dues and served their time, they should be allowed to vote.

Have a friend, in FL in fact that made a bad mistake years ago and got drunk and got behind the wheel. She hit and killed someone and served 18 years in FL state pen for it. She got out, got back on her feet, got married, bought a house, owns her on trucking busines and is a Conservative contributor to society. Youre trying to tell me she should NEVER be allowed to vote again? Sorry. I dont agree.
She should still be in prison.

No voting machines in prison.

That was no "mistake". She was stone cold sober when she decided to get drunk. She killed some one, will he be voting? Let's ask that person if she should be voting.

You don't get a pass on killing people because you are conservative or productive in your opinion. Wonder how productive the person she killed would have been?

Dub

Top Chef
The only reason the majority says no here is yall are afraid they would all vote blue.

As far as Im concerned, as long as its not a violent crime and they have paid their dues and served their time, they should be allowed to vote.

Have a friend, in FL in fact that made a bad mistake years ago and got drunk and got behind the wheel. She hit and killed someone and served 18 years in FL state pen for it. She got out, got back on her feet, got married, bought a house, owns her on trucking busines and is a Conservative contributor to society. Youre trying to tell me she should NEVER be allowed to vote again? Sorry. I dont agree.

I would yield to the opinion of the victim's family.

18 years later the person who killed their loved one is moving forward with their life, yet the family's loved one remains dead.

I would yield to the opinion of the victim's family.

18 years later the person who killed their loved one is moving forward with their life, yet the family's loved one remains dead.
All felons aren't killers. You can get a felony rap for some surprising things. Like making liquor, and other pretty innocuous offenses.

Dub

Top Chef
All felons aren't killers. You can get a felony rap for some surprising things. Like making liquor, and other pretty innocuous offenses.

True.

In this case I was responding to the scenario he put forth about his friend in Florida who killed someone in a drunk driving event.

He feels that after 18 years she is good to go.

I wonder how the victim's family feels about this ?

I'd say the person she killed is still dead.

Big7

I think people who don't pay taxes or who receive government assistance should lose their right to vote.
I would say own property too. Need some skin in the game. That would solve most of the pronlems. If you are not smart enough to own property, you are not smart enough to vote.

I recall the thousands of felons OBAMA released from prison before their time was up. These were mostly drug dealers. They are now back on the street and I would bet my last cent, that most of them are right back to their old ways. I do not want these people voting.