Should it be legal to carry a handgun while bow hunting?

Should it be legal in GA to carry a handgun while bow hunting?

• Who cares?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skipper

Banned
I'm curious as to how many have a CCW permit?

I've never had one, and don't intend to get one. For one thing, In Kentucky, it's a donation of $150 to an approved shooting course and another $150 to the Sheriff. About $300 total expense to do what the 2nd Amendment gives me the right to do to start with. I just wonder how loud people would gripe If they had to take a course and pay a tax to vote? I think we tried that once in our history and it didn't last.

IMO, the only thing a CCW permit does is give the government a bunch of data to put in their database for whatever reason, and forces otherwise law abiding citizens to pay to exercise a right they already have guaranteed to them by the constitution.

A thug is not going to care if he/she has a permit or not. If said thug chooses to pack, they'll pack law or no law. I don't see why anyone would worry about the rest of us sticking a pistol in the glove box or pants pocket?

You know, the truth is, if I had my druthers, I'd not have to worry about packing a pistol, BUT, the Criminal Justice System (COURT) has not done it's job for the last 30 years in this country and as a result, the good people are being forced to live with career thugs among us. These 2 thugs that held up the drug store across the street from my office last week weren't first time offenders. Their rap sheet is more like a rap book. Their buts should be in jail working on a chain gang daylight till dark 7 days a week. Instead, they are out on parole sticking guns in the face of a man and his wife who are trying to run a pharmacy.

Each week, the local paper publishes the court cases. There are about 40 to 50 names in the paper each week that are in court for theft, dope, DUI, bad checks, and whatever else. I'd about bet that if you started listing them on January the 1st each week for a year at the end of the year, you'd find you only had 200 different names for 52 weeks. There should never be some goon convicted 36 different times for whatever crime. 1 time is a mistake. 2 times is a wake up, 3 is it. I actually had a theft loss on a vehicle once where the guy that stole it had been convicted 3 times of being a persistent Felony Offender. I thought that meant they threw away the key on him. Evidently not. Apparantly he doesn't even report to a parole officer because nobody can find him to charge him with stealing the car we paid for that he drove to the courthouse to appear for his 3 page indictment that included Dope, Fleeing and Evading, Damaging County Property, Assaulting Police Officers, No insurance, DUI, Destruction of Private Property, and no Seat Belt. They fined him $1500 and he drove off in the stolen car. His rap book is about 24 pages long.

Skipper

Randy

But I am not a thug so I have one. Had it since I was 21. I carry all the time except when I am on one of my school sites. It also allows you to buy a gun without a background check. Yes it gives the government some information about you but if you have ever served or bought a gun from a dealer they have that information anyway.

D

dave

Slug-Gunner said:
the weapon MUST BE CONCEALED in an approved carry device. If you don't ADVERTISE the fact that you carry a pistol, who else will know about it? For me, my shoulder holster rig would be ideal for this when worn under my hunting shirt - it is TOTALLY CONCEALED, yet easily accessed by simply unbuttoning a couple of buttons.

Wrong. GA is a "Right-To-Carry State". One can carry a handgun, visible on 3 sides (on the hip) without a permit in GA, assuming you are not a felon or nut. One only needs a permit if you intend to CONCEAL it. Most conceal their handgun to keep the wild stares to a minimum.

Many states REQUIRE you to conceal a handgun. GA is NOT one of those states.

I do agree that if you intend to carry while bow hunting that you would be smart to conceal it.

Randy

I think you are smart to always conceal. It just keeps the questions down!

GeauxLSU

Skipper said:
I've never had one, and don't intend to get one. For one thing, In Kentucky, it's a donation of $150 to an approved shooting course and another $150 to the Sheriff. About $300 total expense to do what the 2nd Amendment gives me the right to do to start with. I just wonder how loud people would gripe If they had to take a course and pay a tax to vote? I think we tried that once in our history and it didn't last.

IMO, the only thing a CCW permit does is give the government a bunch of data to put in their database for whatever reason, and forces otherwise law abiding citizens to pay to exercise a right they already have guaranteed to them by the constitution.
My feelings EXACTLY! Since the paperwork trail has started, I've never purchased a gun from a dealer either so the gooberment is quite aware that I obviously do not own any firearms. :eek:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Toliver

GeauxLSU said:
My feelings EXACTLY! Since the paperwork trail has started, I've never purchased a gun from a dealer either so the gooberment is quite aware that I obviously do not own any firearms. :eek:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

I hate to tell you this, but the government doesn't need you to fill out a CCW permit app to have the info on you. Big brother knows all he needs to about you already. Feeling paranoid yet?

Skipper, CCW permits are WAY cheaper down here. I don't know about Kentucky but here if you have one you can walk right into a store and buy a gun without the instant background check. Once you get it you MAY carry it concealed if you don't fall under the "you can't own a gun criteria". Here if you're a convicted felon, a fugitive, a nutball (that's the technical term), ever been convicted of a controlled substance violation or ANY domestic violence crime, yes even misdemeanors, you can't own a gun.

OCGA 16-11-128 does require a permit to carry a pistol or revolver (outside of one's home, motor vehicle or place of business) on one's person unless they are legally hunting, fishing or sport shooting.

Skipper

Banned
In Tennessee unless you have a permit, it's against the law to have an "assembled" handgun in a vehicle. If you don't have a permit, your revovler must have the cylinder removed and stored in the trunk with the amo while the frame is in the car. For a semi auto, the slide and clip must be stored separate from the gun.

Yes, if you have a permit you don't have to wait, and I know that the government already knows all that stuff, so really it's just redundant. I've never had to wait long to get a gun in a store though. A couple of minutes maybe.

The alternative to a permit here is a reserve deputy. I can buy a bond for $50, then the Sheriff makes me a reserve deputy and I can carry a pistol. That way I don't have to pass a range test like you do for a CCW. There are a lot of reserve deputies in Kentucky.

Skipper

GeauxLSU

Who's paranoid me? What are you looking at? Who's that guy?!?

Toliver said:
I hate to tell you this, but the government doesn't need you to fill out a CCW permit app to have the info on you. Big brother knows all he needs to about you already. Feeling paranoid yet?
I've never purchased a new firearm and I don't have a CCW. So what does the government know about me? They know I purchase a hunting license. They know I took the hunter's safety course. That's it. I suppose if they could put two and two together they could figure it out, but I don't give them that much credit and for now, I think/hope/pray that they have bigger issues than how many firearms I own, to take the time to search threads on forums like these and try and add it up. If they ever come knocking on my door based on my hunting license purchase. I'll let them search a pond at my hunting camp. I dropped my shotgun (the only thing I own) in there. ;)
Oops, there was that "firearms owner ID card" I had to purchase when I lived in Illinois. But again, that was so I could buy ammo. Once again, "I think the gun should be somewhere in the deep part."
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Toliver

GeauxLSU said:
I've never purchased a new firearm and I don't have a CCW. So what does the government know about me? They know I purchase a hunting license. They know I took the hunter's safety course. That's it. I suppose if they could put two and two together they could figure it out, but I don't give them that much credit and for now, I think/hope/pray that they have bigger issues than how many firearms I own, to take the time to search threads on forums like these and try and add it up. If they ever come knocking on my door based on my hunting license purchase. I'll let them search a pond at my hunting camp. I dropped my shotgun (the only thing I own) in there. ;)
Oops, there was that "firearms owner ID card" I had to purchase when I lived in Illinois. But again, that was so I could buy ammo. Once again, "I think the gun should be somewhere in the deep part."
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

My earlier comment had nothing to do with what you have or have not done pertaining to guns. OBVIOUSLY you have not watched "Enemy of the State" with Wil Smith and Gene Hackman. That movie is so close to the truth it hurts. TRUST ME, Big Brother knows.

NOW are you feeling paranoid? :) ::ke:

GeauxLSU

Toliver said:
My earlier comment had nothing to do with what you have or have not done pertaining to guns. OBVIOUSLY you have not watched "Enemy of the State" with Wil Smith and Gene Hackman. That movie is so close to the truth it hurts. TRUST ME, Big Brother knows.
NOW are you feeling paranoid? :) ::ke:
I saw that movie but don't remember it. Now that I think about it, seems like the next thing I remember was waking up and it was Tuesday but I swear it should have been Monday.... ::huh: Guess I'll put it in my Netflix queue again. Perhaps I need to clear an extra day on my schedule first?...
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Toliver

:bounce: :bounce: You're lucky. I lost an entire week after posting in another thread some of the stuff I "knew" about our gov't.