Shrimp Seining

caughtinarut

I agree with WalkingDead. I have been shrimping and people catching sharks right next to me. Whatever is in the water wants what you want and not you. An alligator would make me nrevous. I had something rub next to me before too one time. Have fun because it sure if fun when you catch a bunch of shrimp, crabs, and a few fish.

WalkinDead

Banned
This years hatch are starting to show up in the net. Overall average size is still acceptable, but the brown shrimp will be moving on shortly, and average size will drop considerably once they do.

WalkinDead

Banned
Shrimping still remains good with average catches and good sized brown shrimp. That will not last much longer; the brown shrimp will soon migrate to deeper waters leaving only this years white shrimp hatch, which will be small in size and numbers, until sometime in September when they begin migrating from the creeks to the inlets.

WalkinDead

Banned
This week has seen changes in the quality of the shrimp caught. The larger brown shrimp have become fewer in number while the smaller white shrimp are making up approximately half of what is being caught. You can still fill a cooler, if you're willing to put in the time and work, and don't mind catching the smaller shrimp.

WalkinDead

Banned
It appears the larger brown shrimp have migrated out into deeper waters with few in the seine now. The smaller white shrimp will be molting every two weeks and will increase in size through the rest of the season. Quantity of shrimp that can be caught is still consistent with this time of year and 40+ pounds in two to three hours is still about average.

BrileyDog

Any new updates on the shrimp? I have been watching this thread like a hawk..lol.. I will be headed to Jekyll around the first weekend of October to shrimp and fish for the first time there. Thanks for all the info guys.

WalkinDead

Banned
Wife and I met some friends at St. Andrews last night. We filled a 60 qt. cooler in 1.5 hours with our 99x8, they filled their 50 qt. cooler in the same amount of time with their 75x8. Size distribution is still acceptable with mostly bigger shrimp in the net. The brown shrimp appear to be gone for the year.
Another group was seining when we got there and shorty afterward they netted what they believed was about a 9' shark which ended their day with a 20 foot rip in the center of their net. An extremely rare and unfortunate occurrence.

Last edited:

Rabun

This is something I have never tried or seen anyone do. I would love to see some video or pics of y'all in action. I dragged a shrimp net in Mobile Bay years ago with a friend that lived there and it was always cool to see what was in there when we pulled it up.

cuda67bnl

How deep does the deep end person usually go? I’m thinking about buying a net and trying it when I go back next month. If I can find someone to help. Looks like everyone that was going with me is backing out on me, lol.

BrileyDog

I'll Be there the first weekend in October so if you can't find someone I'll pull with you and I'm right at 6'-2 so I can get pretty deep.

WalkinDead

Banned
To the above three posters:
  • You can google shrimp seining and find videos of it being done easily.
  • Cuda67bnl and BrileyDog maybe you two can hook up
  • Deep man is usually shoulder deep, but that varies with the slope of the beach. Shallow man positions himself so that the net maintains a "C" shape which funnels the shrimp towards the middle of the net. If the net is too straight the shrimp will simply swim around the ends.
  • ALWAYS go with the tide flow or you will tire quickly and the shrimp will outrun you.
  • I would recommend you purchase your net from "Pops" Hagar, he sells the best net on the beach in my opinion. 912-539-0935, He's usually at St. Andrews Picnic area on Jekyll Island on Friday and Saturday while the season is open.
Hope this information is helpful.

mdgreco191

X2 on Pops nets. They are very well made. I will be down in mid October and then the end of October as well. Wish I could get down there sooner, but that is how it goes with Work and Kids...

WalkinDead

Banned
Seining remains excellent. Wife and I managed 150+ pounds this week in three trips. Size distribution is still good with the larger shrimp being caught from the middle of the tide onward. The finger mullet have been running the beach in high numbers this week and have been somewhat of a pain to pick out of the net with some larger ones mixed in. The season will only get better from now on.

cuda67bnl

You guys must eat a ton of shrimp.

WalkinDead

Banned
When you catch a lot of shrimp it's like winning the lottery, you have friends and family that like to come by and take some home. We try to keep enough in the freezer to cover the 6 month period when you can't seine and use the smaller ones for bait during the year. The finger mullet also provide bait for redfish in the fall for us and several friends. We provide the bait and they are kind enough to take us fishing on their boats. We do eat a lot of shrimp, because the price is right on them.:)

BrileyDog

Thanks for the update WalkinDead. I can't wait to get down there the first October and I hope the shrimping will still be good then. I would like to freeze as many as possible too, the shrimp price around here are pretty high, and I have always loved shrimp. I'm bringing a cast net with me, but with all the reading I'm interested in Pop's nets he makes now. What kind of price range does he have on them so I'll know how much extra cash to pack? Man I can't wait for a whole weekend of fishing, shrimping and relaxing, and a chance to learn something new. Y'all stay safe!!

WalkinDead

Banned
It would be best to call him and ask. I believe the prices are:
  • 50x8 $150
  • 75x8 $230
  • 99x8 $280
This is just my best guess, I haven't purchased one in several years as they last quite a while if stored and repaired properly. He also has 10' and 12' high nets, not sure on their prices.
It is quite possible you can pay for it the first time you use it in the value of shrimp caught in October, as they will be running very good then. You can most certainly do it in two days and then you have it for many seasons afterward. My recommendation for your first seine would be the 75x8. It is easily operated by two people and will catch you your limit of 48 quarts in a matter of 3-4 hours if the shrimp are running good on the days you go. You will need at least a 60 quart cooler to get 48 quarts of shrimp and 16 lbs. of ice in it.

WalkinDead

Banned
What a difference a few days make. The smaller shrimp now make up a much higher percentage of the catch and will for the next month until they molt a couple more times and grow a bit. You can still average 45-50 pounds in 3-4 hours, if you don't mind the smaller shrimp.