shrimps

ucfireman

I just read where the recreational shrimp season is starting next week. I have never shrimped but thought I might give it a try. How do you go about it? With a cast net or some other way? Do you need a boat or can you wade?
Any advise is appreciated.

mlbowfin

A boat is a must! You can bait for them and use marking poles where you bait BUT you must stay within so many yards of baited spots. you can google shrimp bait recipes as most are comprised of fish mill and clay.. hope this helps..

GSUbackwoods

A boat is a must! You can bait for them and use marking poles where you bait BUT you must stay within so many yards of baited spots. you can google shrimp bait recipes as most are comprised of fish mill and clay.. hope this helps..

If shrimping in Georgia, shrimp baiting is prohibited. Also, if using a cast net make sure it has 5/8" mesh for food shrimp.

Attachments

• Shrimp.png
    Shrimp.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 6

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Years ago my father welded and bolted up some rigging/pulleys to the back of his boat. He bought a real shrimp net with doors and chains in Foley Alabama and we would drag it at different random depths and times before pulling it in to check.
We caught nearly any and everything until something big enough to pull the boat backwards got in the net so he had me cut the lines loose.
The next year he bought another shrimp net and eventually doubled the lengths of the lines to shrimp 200 feet deep.
Some of the wildest, best memories and eats I ever had.
We were the real deal shrimpers, well he was.
Commercial shrimp boats blowin and waving.
Calling on the radio asking about our catch.
Any way that Foley Alabama shop is still in business last time I checked.
We felt like regulars in there. They sell the best nets.
Thanks for reminding me of the old memories.