Shutting down a mineral lick

mopar6974

Is there anyway to safely 'shut down' a mineral lick? Put blocks out for a couple years and of course even after stopping doing so, the deer still regularly show and eat the dirt for the minerals it still contains. Any way to deter them?

transfixer

I've never tried to " close " a mineral lick, but I would think if you covered the area with some other dirt ? or sand ? they would probably quit using it ? We've got one spot on our lease that was a mineral lick 30yrs ago, today its about a foot deep and three feet across. We haven't put anything in it in years.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Fence with a top. Kinda like a dog cage

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Is there anyway to safely 'shut down' a mineral lick? Put blocks out for a couple years and of course even after stopping doing so, the deer still regularly show and eat the dirt for the minerals it still contains. Any way to deter them?
Why do you want to shut it down?

mopar6974

Why do you want to shut it down?
I'll be moving soon and would like to stop the neighbor boy from being able to hunt over it. Every deer he has shot so far has pretty much been wasted or lost due to poor shot placement.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Two wrongs don’t make a right.:waggingfinger:
Your moving so forget about that neighbor boy or better yet TEACH him where to shoot before you leave.
Hindering him or the deer won’t help nobody.
If you think he purposely makes a bad hit on a deer...
I bet your wrong.

Stroker

Get you some fresh road kill, replace every two weeks till you move, problem solved.

Stroker

Get you some fresh road kill, replace every two weeks till you move, problem solved

mopar6974

Two wrongs don’t make a right.:waggingfinger:
Your moving so forget about that neighbor boy or better yet TEACH him where to shoot before you leave.
Hindering him or the deer won’t help nobody.
If you think he purposely makes a bad hit on a deer...
I bet your wrong.
You misunderstand my intentions. I want to teach him respect for the animal he hunts. I want him to learn to scout to find good stand locations. To learn more about deer, their habits, what they eat, where they travel and why. I have tried to encourage him to do this and offered to help him numerous times but he always refused my help. He has the attitude that as long as he can go to the woods, see and shoot deer, he is an acomplished hunter. As for his poor shot placement, he has never given any indication of remorse for losing any of the deer he has shot. Teaching him is what I have tried to do, now with moving I am trying to force him to put in the effort neededto become successful and not be content with 'shooting fish in a barrel'.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You misunderstand my intentions. I want to teach him respect for the animal he hunts. I want him to learn to scout to find good stand locations. To learn more about deer, their habits, what they eat, where they travel and why. I have tried to encourage him to do this and offered to help him numerous times but he always refused my help. He has the attitude that as long as he can go to the woods, see and shoot deer, he is an acomplished hunter. As for his poor shot placement, he has never given any indication of remorse for losing any of the deer he has shot. Teaching him is what I have tried to do, now with moving I am trying to force him to put in the effort neededto become successful and not be content with 'shooting fish in a barrel'.

I don’t know the full situation but You should be able to do that and still allow the deer to use the minerals.

baddave

sounds like you're describing the average deer hunter -- we don't do all that anymore

Dbender

Perhaps you aren't the hunting expert you think you are. Your neighbor might be hesitant to take advice from someone who thinks a mineral lick is equivalent to shooting fish in a barrel?

sleepr71

And here we go...judging & berating a man you know nothing about?! To answer the question...I’d go get however many bags of Quick-Crete it’ll take & fill the hole up. A couple of 5 gallon buckets of water...mix it all together...and it’ll be done.For good,unless they can get to it with a Tractor & front end loader! Get a bag of Sulfur & pour around it after that(found at Tractor Supply,etc)....should be the end of that

Dbender

You can tell quite a bit about a person based on their actions/posts. For instance filling a salty hole with concrete so that a neighboring kid can't "benefit" from it. If i knew the neighbor I'd give him the whole $6 it would take to make his own.