Side by Side Info

Meriwether Mike

I am in the market for a new side by side for hunting, working on the lease and light trail use. I am in the research stage and wanted to see what knowledge was available. Has any one had experience with a Polaris Ranger 500 or Honda 500? I am trying to stay less that 60 inches wide which limits what is available. Any first hand experiences would be helpful.

transfixer

I don't know anything about the side by sides, I'm using an older 4 wheeler and an electric golf cart. But if I were in the market for a side by side I would search for forums on them, see what problems each of them have, it might take a couple hours of searching and reading on the computer, but it should tell you what you need to know.

In my experience with 4wheelers over the years I personally would stay away from anything Polaris, and I have heard they are louder than most, Honda has always been reliable with pretty much anything they produce. Honda and Yamaha are the only two atv's I trust

Meriwether Mike

Thanks for the info. I have owned two Honda ATVs and have been most happy with them. They are solid and well built.

ryanh487

My BIL is a finance manager for a powersports dealership. He says that he would avoid Polaris right now, because their belt driven transmissions get slack in them between gears. This causes much faster wear and more frequent failure than systems that use constant belt tension or gears in the transmission. He strongly recommends Honda or Yamaha products.

thumper523

Have you looked at the Kawasaki Mule? I've got a 610XC 4x4 and love it. It has never let me down. It will pull anything and haul a lot of stuff.

7 point

X2 on the mule Ibought one last year it's a tough little machine

Meriwether Mike

I am looking at them all with an open mind. The Polaris issues with their belt do concern me.

transfixer

Polaris has always had issues with their belts, even way back when they were first on the scene with the belt driven atv's.

TJay

I have a 2016 Yamaha Wolverine R Spec and it has been a great ride so far. Yamaha just came out with the XR2 so you might be able to sneak up on a deal for the Wolverine.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Mike I have been on the Honda sbs and they are some nice well built machines with plenty of room. I owned a Yamaha rhino and they are just to loud and not much hauling space. I use my Honda 4 wheeler for tough jobs now and the electric cart for hunting purposes.

wildcats

I have a Pioneer 500 sxs. Use it to hunt with my dad. He had some surgery that limits his ability to steer a 4-wheeler.
It is a great machine. It is not a sport machine....very much utility built.
Pulls both of us and hunting gear fine. Full auto or can shift using paddle shift on steering wheel. Will run 40mph but thats it. Of course I didn't buy it for that. Easy entry/egress via side doors. Needs a winch, weight prohibitive in the event you get stuck.

Triple C

I bought a new Polaris 500 in 2011 and loved it until it was totaled by an invited guest a year and half later. So...I didn't own it long enough to see if any issues develop with belt slippage. Loved the size, nimbleness and ride. Replaced it with a Polaris diesel SxS in 2013 and that thing has been a beast of a machine. Still going strong in it's 5th year. Not sure you can buy a bad one these days from any of the major manufacturers. They all seem to be reliable and loved by their owners.

southernman13

We have a 900 Polaris sbs its been good but only has maybe 80hrs on it. I still prefer my electric golf cart over anything. Honda has always been the best imho. Although they have had issues with their new machines. Something with the transmission gears. My neighbor in Tn has one and they fixed it no charge under warranty. I think his is a 17. I hear they have it under control now but that’s head say. If I bought new I’d say it would be a Honda. But man these things are outrageous!! Good luck

Meriwether Mike

I wound up buying the Polaris Ranger 500. I drove to Rockmart and saved $1700 over the Kennesaw dealers price. If the Honda had a bed instead of a rack I would have probably went with it. I would have had to spend an extra amount to get a tray on the back.

T-N-T

I think honda is missing out with that rack.
I passed on the honda 500 because of that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
After 22 years of dealing with a work fleet of about 15 side-by-sides of all sorts that are used and abused for 10 hours or more a day, year after year; I just don't think you can beat the Kawasaki Mule for overall reliability and usability. Especially the diesel ones.

Polaris and John Deere would be at the bottom of my list. The Kubotas are pretty good, and Club Car is making a pretty durn good one now with Kubota and Kawasaki engines.

Last edited:

Rabbit Runner

I have a Yamaha rhino 450, it's a 2006 we use it every day on the farm change oil clean air filter, replaced a few rubber boots on the axles. Still runs very well

7 point

After 22 years of dealing with a work fleet of about 15 side-by-sides of all sorts that are used and abused for 10 hours or more a day, year after year; I just don't think you can beat the Kawasaki Mule for overall reliability and usability. Especially the diesel ones.

Polaris and John Deere would be at the bottom of my list. The Kubotas are pretty good, and Club Car is making a pretty durn good one now with Kubota and Kawasaki engines.
If im not mistaken the mule was the f irst side by side made wasn't it?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If im not mistaken the mule was the f irst side by side made wasn't it?
I think it was. THe JD gator was a pretty old design too, but I think the Mule came first.