Sighting in rifle on NF

Buckman18

Nope

While we encourage persons participating in target shooting to practice on the national forests’ shooting ranges, it is possible to target shoot in areas of the forest (outside of shooting ranges) with some restrictions.

The following are prohibited on the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forest.

1. Discharging a firearm within 50 yards of an open public road as well as on or across a forest system road.
  2. Discharging a firearm within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area.
  3. Discharging a firearm on or across a body of water except when engaged in legal hunting, such as duck hunting.
  4. Discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle.
  5. Discharging a firearm into or within a cave.
  6. Discharging a firearm in a manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage (provide for safe bullet impact area).
  7. Transporting a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle.
  8. Possession of a firearm in any Federal building or facility (prohibited even with a state concealed carry permit) {18 USC 930}.
  9. Littering (remove all trash including targets and spent shell casings)

In addition to the above mentioned laws and regulations, the carrying of a firearm on your person is governed primarily by state law. These laws can be viewed in the online version of the Georgia Code. Expand Title 16---Chapter 11---Article 4---Parts 1, 2, & 3

biggdogg

Short answer is yes. You can sight in your rifle on National Forest land. That said, there are several WMA's that have manned ranges that would better serve that purpose. I know Clybel has a top notch range.

Jcjones4

Thanks. I just moved to North Georgia near Blairsville from MS and trying to get some insight into hunting up here.

JackSprat

Short answer is yes. You can sight in your rifle on National Forest land. That said, there are several WMA's that have manned ranges that would better serve that purpose. I know Clybel has a top notch range.

Fine answer but a couple of additions.

You CANNOT sight in on a WMA that is part of the NF except at designated ranges, so know the boundaries.

You can sight in, but you can't litter, which includes anything you brought. Targets, cans, hopefully, there is no broken glass, but that to, and any casings. Also, I can't cite you a specific rule, but respect the resource and don't staple targets to trees. And look out for rocks down range.

The general rule for NF is that you can use (or carry) your firearm in any manner not inconsistent with state law.

Also if you have a hunting or fishing license, the state ranges are free. and most have a RO to keep matters reasonably sane.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Find a dead end road a good ways away from any houses. Don't litter. Youll have no problems.

ripplerider

I've done it many times near Blairsville. As long as youre not on a management area and more than 50 yards from the road with a good backstop you'll be ok. Dont put your target on live trees and dont leave your litter as stated above. I pick up the mess that target shooters leave on dead-end Forest Service roads regularly. Broken bottles, shotgun shells, cardboard targets, you name it I've probably found it. P.M. me if you need directions to a good place to shoot.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Bring a target and holder (don't shoot into trees), get more than 50 yards from a road, pick up your trash, and shoot in safe direction. Got checked on ONF while sighting in a couple guns and met all these requirements and had a very friendly encounter with the LEO that came over to check on us.

Pepper10

Not far from Blairsville is Panther Top shooting range. It’s around a 30 min drive depending where you live. They have a 25 yard pistol and a 100 yard rifle range. Cost is $3. Google it for directions and more info

twincedargap

Thanks. I just moved to North Georgia near Blairsville from MS and trying to get some insight into hunting up here.
Also there’s a shooting range just off 180, maybe a mil past jacks gap, maybe old owl town rd(entrance to brass town bald) on left as you head towards 75/hiawasee).

Also there’s a shooting club forming in union county that is taking on charter members. They are hoping to secure some NF land closer to trackrock.