Sign In?

I spoke with a very helpful young lady about bear hunting at Chestatee WMA and was told that on a non sign-in hunt, you have to camp in the designated camping areas. The website shows that bear season starts september 21 there and that it is a sign in hunt. My questions are as follows:
1. Since it is a sign-in hunt, can i cold camp in non designated areas (probably wouldn't anyway)
2. Where do i need to sign in at for Chestatee WMA? The maps aren't super helpful.

As always, anything pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

jbogg

As far as I am aware you can camp pretty much anywhere on national forest. Since all of Chestatee WMA falls within Chattahoochee national Forest you should be good to go. It’s a real good idea to practice leave no trace, and use common sense. Camping is not allowed in wildlife openings/food plots… Thousands of people camp every year along the Appalachian Trail, most of which borders one Mountain WMA or another throughout most of Georgia.

Thank yall so much for the help. Im from Georgia, but have lived and hunted all over and can honestly say that most folks on this forum are some of the most helpful around! Never tried for bear, but I've got a pile of high country gear that needs to get the dust knocked off it, so I'll go kill a weekend chasing them and maybe a trout or two

littlewolf

Scouted Chestatee the past couple days. First time I had stepped foot on the place. It's very pretty and very steep - my legs are sore. Check station is on Dick's Creek Rd, a little past Mt Pisgah Church on the left. I camped at Desoto so I dont know. It was 12 bucks a night but warm showers. Only downside is it's right on 19 so you hear traffic.

Watch out for snakes. I know everybody says this and I often chalk it up to discouraging hunting competition. But no joke...yesterday I saw the biggest rattlesnake I have ever seen in person. I was walking up an old overgrown logging road and he was laying up on a water break. I did not see him til he rattled and thank God he did! Be careful. Use a walking stick. Really helps with the terrain also.

Good luck!

Killer Kyle

Scouted Chestatee the past couple days. First time I had stepped foot on the place. It's very pretty and very steep - my legs are sore. Check station is on Dick's Creek Rd, a little past Mt Pisgah Church on the left. I camped at Desoto so I dont know. It was 12 bucks a night but warm showers. Only downside is it's right on 19 so you hear traffic.

Watch out for snakes. I know everybody says this and I often chalk it up to discouraging hunting competition. But no joke...yesterday I saw the biggest rattlesnake I have ever seen in person. I was walking up an old overgrown logging road and he was laying up on a water break. I did not see him til he rattled and thank God he did! Be careful. Use a walking stick. Really helps with the terrain also.

Good luck!
I have seen two rattlers in the last two weeks on two different WMA's up here. One was awsome looking. All black. Its head and neck were 100% black as ink. That thing looked sinister. I saw the other with Buckman while scouting, and I stipped right over it and didmt know. Buck man saw it slither when I stepped over it. It was the yellowest rattler I have ever seen. Looked like a banana laying there.
Watch your step!!!