Single vs tandem axle boat trailer

Zackvbra

In the process of buying a new nitro z18. It's an 18ft boat, weighs around 2,000 pounds empty. Should I opt for a tandem axle trailer? The upgrade is around $2000, I just want to know is it worth it and does a boat of that length even need a tandem axle?

archer47

single vs tamdem axel

never owned a tandem axel but I have a 2017 Ranger z18 and it came with a single axel trailer and it pulls and handles great.

Zackvbra

The thought of the long term cost tandem axles steer me away anyway. But if it actually makes a difference riding and handling, I'm all for it. But from what I can tell, anything under 19' does not require a tandem axle

Eugene Stinson

I have the same boat in a Z7 go with the single

greg_n_clayton

In these parts, I try to lean toward two axles whether it on a boat trailer or a camper. On these back roads, the 2nd axle rides the load better, less bouncing and a smoother ride. But of course a lot of our roads up here aren't paved !!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think where a second axle would pay off the most for me is at some of the rough ramps I use. I hate it when the trailer tires fall off the end of the concrete into a hole. Sometimes right on to the frame. A second axle would help that a lot.
As long as your axle and load rating is well above the weight of the boat, you should be fine. I have had a dealer sell me a boat on a trailer with a 1500 lb axle. The boat weighed 2000 pounds. Not good in the long run.

BDD

Your boat is 2000 lbs. including the motor ? that’s pretty light, but you add a lot of
Weight with a full tank of gas and cooler plus gear.

I had and I say had a single axle on my 21 foot CC and lost a wheel on I16 coming from the coast
Going 80 MPH. The wheel actually broke off from lug to lug, it was quite exciting. Luckily it was a section where
The lanes are divided by trees or it could have been real bad with oncoming traffic. I like the security the 4 wheels give me.

crankie

For me, tandem would be more than worth it regardless of how long the boat is. It's hard to price peace of mind.

A) I've had 4 boats so far, all with single axel (the next one will have tandem). One of them hit a pothole and one of the spokes on the wheel cracked! It's a Ranger Trail too. And I didn't even see it till someone pointed out (in time). Could have been a real disaster if it broke down at high speed. Tandem will handle pothole or the likes much better.
B) There was water leaked into the hub. The bearings eventually broke. And it was not something you can easily detect on a day to day basis. The wheel almost came off. Luckily I got back home one day, smelled the burn, and discovered how bad the wheel was about to come off (it literally was not in vertical position). Tandem would be much safer.
C) Got a flat tire in the middle of a busy road. Got no place to pull over. Wasn't fun. Tandem won't be as big of a problem.
D) As someone said earlier, boat ramp with a drop (end of concrete) can be a big problem. I got stuck once at an unfamiliar ramp on an unfamiliar lake. Almost had to spend the night there.

Last edited:

tree cutter 08

I'd opt for a tandem if possible but not for 2k more. I'd try to get them down to 1k to 1500 for the option. Pros of a tandem out way the cons for me. Several good reasons mentioned above. I wish mine was a tandem.

BDD

Other than my reasons in post #10, in a few weeks we will be staying on an island for 8 days.
It’s a house with electric but all food and gear will be hulled down in the boat so it will easily
Be carrying an extra 500 or so lbs. With the single axle I always was concerned about extra weight
In the boat.

Eugene Stinson

Does yours sway at all going interstate speeds?

not a bit and have ran over 80 mph by "accident" a time or 2
I did and I am glad I did, when I ordered mine I took the option of upgrading my wheels. The ones that come standard are cheesy ( cheap & ugly looking) the upgrade came with a spare. Standard was no spare.

Last edited:

Eugene Stinson

I think where a second axle would pay off the most for me is at some of the rough ramps I use. I hate it when the trailer tires fall off the end of the concrete into a hole. Sometimes right on to the frame. A second axle would help that a lot.
As long as your axle and load rating is well above the weight of the boat, you should be fine. I have had a dealer sell me a boat on a trailer with a 1500 lb axle. The boat weighed 2000 pounds. Not good in the long run.

Not trying to sway one way or the other but FYI to anyone. I do know if my nitro Z7 single trailer falls off the ramp I can hook a rope to trailer with the front of the boat still hooked and pull it up off the bottom by my 54 year old self. The boat will float the trailer, while someone pulls the truck up. Been there done that.
I don't think I could with 4 wheels.