Small engine help

WishboneW

Tiller motor. Starts fine with a squirt of ether but will not stay running. Fuel is gravity fed from overhead tank. Fuel bowl has gas. Choke works fine. What might be the issue?

tr21

ethanol gas has plugged it up. yep it needs a good cleaning and it will run again. dang ethanol has clogged so many carbs and eats your fuel lines too

K80Shooter

The carb needs to be cleaned
ethanol gas has plugged it up. yep it needs a good cleaning and it will run again. dang ethanol has clogged so many carbs and eats your fuel lines too

This.

Once you get it running again use nothing but ethanol free gas in it. Yeah it's more expensive but you'll have fewer headaches.

Turpentine

You can probably get a whole new carb for around 30 bucks.
Do a complete service spark plug, oil, air filter, drain all gas and fuel lines.
Start fresh with the new carb and run sea foam with every new tank of gas and or get non ethanal gas.
At the end of each use you should run fuel lines and carb dry.
There should be no gas in the system or tank at the end of each season.

Full service at the beginning of each season.
Most, even the cheapest of equipment (disposable) should last the average Joe a life time if the properly serviced each year.

hdgapeach

If you do determine the issue is caused by ethanol gasoline, you might as well replace all rubber fuel lines while you're tinkerin' on it. That stuff eats rubber worse than anything I've seen. Thanks BIG government....(sarc).

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
You can probably get a whole new carb for around 30 bucks.
Do a complete service spark plug, oil, air filter, drain all gas and fuel lines.
Start fresh with the new carb and run sea foam with every new tank of gas and or get non ethanal gas.
At the end of each use you should run fuel lines and carb dry.
There should be no gas in the system or tank at the end of each season.

Full service at the beginning of each season.
Most, even the cheapest of equipment (disposable) should last the average Joe a life time if the properly serviced each year.

^this^...

boats.net is the place to go!

Turpentine

If you do determine the issue is caused by ethanol gasoline, you might as well replace all rubber fuel lines while you're tinkerin' on it. That stuff eats rubber worse than anything I've seen. Thanks BIG government....(sarc).
All day, fuel line dry rots pretty quick in my opinion. If you maintain alot of your own equipment (small engine) it doesn't hurt to have a few feet of various sizes in your tool box.

tr21

I had to replace the carbs on my generator and wood splitter this year. got them for $18 on ebay. put em on and fired right up no adjustments needed

rayjay

All day, fuel line dry rots pretty quick in my opinion. If you maintain alot of your own equipment (small engine) it doesn't hurt to have a few feet of various sizes in your tool box.
I buy 10 foot lengths and when I get low I go buy another 10 feet. Just replaced the fuel line on a JD last weekend. I was also down to my last fuel filter so Bombergers got themselves a nice stock order. Fuel filters, oil filters, a belt and idler for the neighbors, couple of seat covers, a hood and sticker set, crankcase vent hose, air filters. That was about it for now. Might should have got some new blades......

Turpentine

I buy 10 foot lengths and when I get low I go buy another 10 feet. Just replaced the fuel line on a JD last weekend. I was also down to my last fuel filter so Bombergers got themselves a nice stock order. Fuel filters, oil filters, a belt and idler for the neighbors, couple of seat covers, a hood and sticker set, crankcase vent hose, air filters. That was about it for now. Might should have got some new blades......
Dag gum, that is an order.(y)
Sounds like your trying to put the life back in an ole deer.

Patriot44

Banned
On the bottom of the carb there is a reservoir attached from underneath with a single bolt. Remove and at the end of the bolt where it threads into the carb, there should be a little hole on a flat part. That hole is clogged more than likely. Almost all mowers will do this after sitting up all winter now days.

Eudora

Might see if it has a low oil switch. I had an issue once where I replaced a carb on a small engine generator thinking that it was the problem, but later diagnosed a broken wire at the low oil switch. Worth a quick look at the schematics if available.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if it will start on ether, it isn't anything with the ignition. It is the carb.

If you don't know anything about carbs, you will probably be better off to log into Amazon, and buy a cheap chinese replacement carb for 20 or 30 bucks.

WishboneW

if it will start on ether, it isn't anything with the ignition. It is the carb.

If you don't know anything about carbs, you will probably be better off to log into Amazon, and buy a cheap chinese replacement carb for 20 or 30 bucks.

I have rebuilt Quadra jets in the past, however, for the time element of removing and chasing parts a replacement may be the ticket.

I am going to check out that float bowl thing. Ether gets right in the cylinder but something may be plugging it to prevent fuel flow

I appreciate all the replies.

rayjay

Dag gum, that is an order.(y)
Sounds like your trying to put the life back in an ole deer.
I have 3 of my own plus the one I am refurbing, plus the one across the street, plus the one 2 houses up :)