Small workshop / shed let me pick your brain.

Luke0927

I know we have some pros and handy guys on here. I'm looking to reclaim my garage and for my vehicles and only my auto tools and air compressor. Going to build a small "garden shed" I guess you could call it to move all the other odds and end stuff out to. Probably go with a 12x16 and set it out by my dog kennel since I have power and water. Looking to do this build as cost effective as possible because I will build a real shop in future.

So coulple of things I have most of the lumber to build this but it will take a little extra effort to cut it down but well worth the cost savings. I have a decent amount of 14' 2x6 and 2x8s in good shape, enough 5/8's TnG plywood for subfloor, and need to decide on either metal roof or deck (have enough plywood to deck) or shingle.

#1 thoughts take the 2x6s I have and frame on 24" OC I'm thinking 7.5' walls and 2x6 rafters. This way I could use the 2x6s, I have on hand and only make one cut on my table saw from my 2x8s to have enough to finish framing my walls.

#2 rip my 2x8s to 2x4s and frame on 16" OC and still go with 2x6 rafter.

Which way would you frame it?

I'll probably floor joist a small portion for a little loft storage. I don't have a construction calculator handy where I could see the ridge height on that small of a span (will look online) you think with 7/12 pitch that would be enough room for a little loft on a 6' rafter span?

I could build a little knee wall to bring it up some, but I don't want the thing to look like some 2 story akward thing being its not that big.

Would the hardi type T11 4x8 siding would that be strong enough to just add for exterior sheathing or does it need a base sheathing of OSB?

Thanks fellas

DannyW

I know this does not directly answer your question, but I have a couple of suggestions about maximizing space in a small work area. My shop is only 13x16 but I manage to get a lot done, I even found enough space for my reloading bench.

Instead of sheetrock or plywood walls, I used heavy duty pegboard. This stores a lot of stuff, gets it off the floor and opens up shelf space.

I built a shelf under my workbench and use it to store my power hand tools...it's out of the way but still easily accessable.

I made some custom corner shelf units to store smaller items and my reloading supplies.

Finally I added 8 (!) double florescent 4' lights. My wife says it looks like an operating room it's so bright but I never have to want for light.

Good luck and maybe someone else can help with that framing question.

Attachments

• IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 52

Luke0927

Danny no that is great stuff thank you, really great idea on the peg board I like the shelves also.

rayjay

I would decide where I will put the future shop and put this one somewhere else and plan on leaving it up when the real shop is built. You can never have too much shed space.

Next I would determine how much of that 5/8" t&g you have and let that determine the size of the shed. If it's bigger than your current size, fine, build a bigger shed. Lumber is pretty cheap so if I had to buy some 2x4 studs I would bite the bullet and make the shed bigger.

I like the idea of metal roofs but the issues with the rubber seals on the screws seems like something I wouldn't want to deal with in the future. They make metal that has the fastening hidden under a standing lip. I would look into that. Otherwise, shingles I guess.

Make it 8' just like your house. My shed has two doors instead of a roll up door and it saves room inside the shed. I have a lot of stuff hung from the rafters. I would love to expand my shed but I don't want to deal with suburb bureaucrats.

Cmp1

BANNED
Some of those rent to own structures are really nice and big,,,, would have to build a pad,,,, then build something with the lumber you have,,,,

Luke0927

Yes it will remain after I have my bigger shop. This will be out by the Kennels so if anything will be great to have for animal stuff as well as the gardening stuff.

Real shop will be for personal wood and auto work.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Buy a 18 x 21 metal carport(the portable kind. Add the extra height in the legs to get 8' walls)add one wall of metal on the outside to the ground and then build your shop under that.

Artfuldodger

If I already had the plywood, I'd use it for the roof as well although 5/8 is thicker than what most roofs are sheathed with. I think the siding will be thick enough to add the stability you will need.
You could always insulate it and use 1/4" plywood for the internal walls.

I had a coworker who wanted to build one close to his property line. The county said he would have to build it on skids to make it portable. He waited until later to add the wiring and run the electricity. I think that was against code as well being a "portable" building.

His shed might not have been as big as yours though.

Artfuldodger

I've noticed on floors, one layer of plywood seems to never work even for a shed it seems like you need a thick subfloor and then a then layer on top with the joints of each layer being staggered.
Otherwise when you step on the single plywood layer it gives too much.
Maybe a floor on 16" centers won't do this but on 24" centers it will.

Artfuldodger

I know this does not directly answer your question, but I have a couple of suggestions about maximizing space in a small work area. My shop is only 13x16 but I manage to get a lot done, I even found enough space for my reloading bench.

Instead of sheetrock or plywood walls, I used heavy duty pegboard. This stores a lot of stuff, gets it off the floor and opens up shelf space.

I built a shelf under my workbench and use it to store my power hand tools...it's out of the way but still easily accessable.

I made some custom corner shelf units to store smaller items and my reloading supplies.

Finally I added 8 (!) double florescent 4' lights. My wife says it looks like an operating room it's so bright but I never have to want for light.

Good luck and maybe someone else can help with that framing question.

Shelves are definitely the answer to making more room in a shed. I have three 4' fluorescent lights with 4 bulbs each. It seems that no matter how much lighting you have it's never in the right place.

I have little lights all in my shed/shop. One over the grinder, one over each workbench, etc. Sometimes it still isn't in the right place.
I did recently buy one of those small LED lights that is shaped like a fluorescent light stick. I think it's 18" or 20" long over a workbench. I'm impressed.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Enter with care, it is addictive...
The 12 gauge garage.
As a result of wandering around in the garage journal, I completely redesigned my detached single car ~ 1960's garage, using tips and tricks found there. It it amazing what you can do with some planning, pegboard, and frequency/point of use. DannyW has chosen wisely.

For outside stuff, I've considered a lean-to/ 1/2 pole barn design with the steel truss, sorta like this one, then enclose it.
e2d82fa03022df1cefd0b9e42ae7716b

Luke0927

Thats about what I'm looking for in a future full shop something in a 40x60 ish.

This is really just a quick fix for a storing all the garage stuff I want out. Will have a lean to side as well.

floor will be 16" OC I do know what you mean on the "solidness" off it. Since I have the 5/8"s its hard to pass up, but 3/4" Advantek or similar would be better I know. Also I had a wild idea of taking 2x8s and using for subfloor.

I do have 1/4' plywood that I could deck the roof with need to count how many sheets.

Also the metal carport options is one that I could do but I think I would have more in it. I probably have enough 16" metal that has this overlapping channel that we have finished a building just like that for my grandpa. I would have to pour a pad and then buy the building though frame up inside etc...

Jim Baker

Staff member
Thats about what I'm looking for in a future full shop something in a 40x60 ish.

This is really just a quick fix for a storing all the garage stuff I want out. Will have a lean to side as well.

floor will be 16" OC I do know what you mean on the "solidness" off it. Since I have the 5/8"s its hard to pass up, but 3/4" Advantek or similar would be better I know. Also I had a wild idea of taking 2x8s and using for subfloor.

I do have 1/4' plywood that I could deck the roof with need to count how many sheets.

Also the metal carport options is one that I could do but I think I would have more in it. I probably have enough 16" metal that has this overlapping channel that we have finished a building just like that for my grandpa. I would have to pour a pad and then buy the building though frame up inside etc...

Be sure any thing you have in, on or close to the ground is PT UC4 at the least.

Someone mentioned pegboard. I ran OSB up 4 ft. from the floor and then 4x8 sheets of pegboard from there to the ceiling. Your really don't want PegBord to low. It becomes a hazzard with all those pegs sticking out.

Artfuldodger

Enter with care, it is addictive...
The 12 gauge garage.
As a result of wandering around in the garage journal, I completely redesigned my detached single car ~ 1960's garage, using tips and tricks found there. It it amazing what you can do with some planning, pegboard, and frequency/point of use. DannyW has chosen wisely.

For outside stuff, I've considered a lean-to/ 1/2 pole barn design with the steel truss, sorta like this one, then enclose it.
e2d82fa03022df1cefd0b9e42ae7716b

I would love to have that outside part on my shed. Half the projects I do are outside because it's too hot in my shed/garage.

I only have pegboard over a workbench but it's amazing how much you can hag from it. My daughter found some peg board hangers at Good will. Even some double ones for hanging hammers, etc.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
My 18 x 18 shop gets crowded with any type of wooden project, so I bought a 8*8*20 conex box for storage. $1500. Look them up, very easily made into a small shop with minimal expense.