Smallmouth bass program stocking info

lampern

Smallmouth Bass Production in Georgia: The First Steps

Clint Peacock, Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division, 1255 Perry Pkwy
Perry, GA 31027. Email: clint.peacock@dnr.ga.gov

Smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu) are a black bass species native to the Tennessee River
watershed, which includes parts of extreme northern Georgia. As with other black bass species, they
are frequently targeted by recreational anglers. Smallmouth bass in Georgia have had difficulty
competing with the introduced spotted bass (Micropterus punctulatus). These two factors have
presented a need and the public support for smallmouth bass conservation work. Due to the possibility
of hybridization between smallmouth bass and spotted bass, any broodfish collected from the wild need
to be genetically evaluated. Once wild broodfish arrive at the hatchery and are shown to be genetically
pure smallmouth bass, they are held in a concrete raceway where they will eventually spawn. Hatchery
conditions (temperature and lights) are controlled throughout the year to simulate changes in the
seasons. Spawning substrate is a mat of Spawntex with rocks adhered in the center. Spawned Eggs are
treated daily with 100 ppm of 35% Perox-Aid to limit fungus growth. Hatched fry are either stocked into
a pond or held inside and fed artemia nauplii. In 2017 two different diets were used in producing phase
II smallmouth bass. Fish in a pond were given live forage (fathead minnow and gambusia) while fish
inside the hatchery were fed a commercial pellet diet (Rangen Soft & Moist). Pond produced fish grew
from fry to 96.6mm average total length in roughly 4 months. In the same time period, pellet reared
fish grew from 51mm average to total length to 127.4mm. All fingerlings were stocked into Lake Blue
Ridge to support the struggling smallmouth bass population.

http://gaafs.org/pdfs/2018_GAAFSProgram_withabstracts.pdf

Quackmasterofgeorgia

It will only prolong it until about 10 years from now, and they will be throwing some more in. They need to remove the spot limit, to even start to help the struggling smallmouth population, but I was told by my state rep which contacted DNR on my behalf, that the reason they don't remove it is because not enough people keep them, which makes no sense because removing the limit allows the people keeping them to keep more.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Quackmaster can you post a copy of the reply from dnr you got?

Thanks

No, sadly I cannot. They would never get back to me, so I waited two weeks and contacted my local representative, and he spoke directly with the fisheries manager, and then called me back with the response.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Just keep all the spots you want out of Blue Ridge, they won't write you up for it.

I hope they wouldn't, but a lot of people stop at their limit as do I, but what about Russell where they have ruined the largemouth population.

cumberland

Nah, i am just thinking of the welfare of the smallmouths. Sometimes you just have to do what you gotta do in life.

lampern

The board shall establish creel and possession limits which shall be no greater than the following limits and shall establish sizes of fish species within the following ranges which may not be taken

(5) Spotted bass or Kentucky bass 0 -- 18 inches 10

Alabama bass are still considered spotted bass under GA state laws

ryanh487

If you accidentally drop a spot on it's head against a rock or the deck of your boat before throwing it back, does it really count towards your limit? :huh:

Or if you cut one in half and use it for catfish bait, and it gets eaten, does that count?

JackSprat

Or if you cut one in half and use it for catfish bait, and it gets eaten, does that count?

Actually, that does.

That's why striper people have to keep their receipts when they buy trout for bait.

It's been mentioned before for other game fish caught and used as bait although I've never heard of anyone getting busted because of it.

It would take a pretty diligent game warden to keep up with your catch if you had no more than say 40 bluegill at one time while catfishing. "Are those the same 40 you had two hours ago."