Smart Phones--AT&T

7Mag Hunter

Need to get a new phone (AT&T) and considering a
PDA type device to check emails (AOL and company emails)..No real internet activity other that emails and
a good quality camera..No music or games, just work
related emails and the best rural reception for travel..

Lots of Blackberry, Blackjack, Palm and types out there...

Anybody have any suggestions?:huh::huh:

Thanx in advance...:banana::banana:

Arrow Flinger

I've got a cheap LG phone and they now have a mobile email feature. I can check my AT & T email anytime.

DYI hunting

I have had in the last year a Blackberry Pearl and Blackjack 2. Actually the Pearl was the only way I could get on Woody's for a couple months.

Blackberry Pearl
-email push is great, email sends/receives quick
-email is horrible to setup, and don't ever loose your password or change email servers
-email attachments easy to download and view if they are compatible and not real big
-internet freezes up a lot while trying to render pages
-double tapping keys is horrible, get a full keyboard unless your just texting
-did I mention internet freezes up?
-little ball mouse thing works great to navigate

Blackjack 2 -
-emails come in a bit slower and send the same
-very easy account setup and changing
-long messages or attachments do not download automatically, you have to select an option when your open it to download entire message/attachments next time it checks mail.
-internet access a lot better than Pearl
-click wheel seems like it lags or you have to spin it a lot, but works okay

Nautical Son

Just recieved an unlocked Nokia N-95 8gb.The phone has all the features of the I-phone with the exception of a touch sreen.The camera is a 5 megapixel with a Carl Zeiss lens (better than most digital cameras), I haven't set up the At&t data yet but when using my home wi-fi it was a breeze. There seems to be alot of negativity on the Blackberry devices but I also bought one of them for my wife model 8310 I think it is.

I have heard some horror stories about the At&t TILT made by HTC so I'd say avoid it for sure.

If you are interested in staying out of a contract you may be interested in an unlocked device. I bought mine from Tiger Direct a.k.a. CompUsa Online.

Oh and yes I was able to log on to Woody's.

JohnK3

Banned
I've heard horror stories about all the phones. /shrug

I carry the 8125, made by HTC. It's a great phone. Only complaint is I have to occasionally turn it completely off and back on. It runs Windows, of COURSE you have to reboot it every now and then! It's especially nice since it takes Mini-SD cards. I put a Mini-SD in an adapter in my trail camera, so when I go out in the woods to check my camera, I just pop it out of the camera, pop the Mini-SD out of the adapter, pop it into my phone and Bob's-Your-Uncle, I'm previewing my pics!

Buddy of mine carries the TILT. He loves his. You can pick up a refurb TILT for $99 from AT&T.

For email, you're going to have to pay for unlimited Internet in order to be economical.

QTurn

Just recieved an unlocked Nokia N-95 8gb.The phone has all the features of the I-phone with the exception of a touch sreen.The camera is a 5 megapixel with a Carl Zeiss lens (better than most digital cameras), I haven't set up the At&t data yet but when using my home wi-fi it was a breeze. There seems to be alot of negativity on the Blackberry devices but I also bought one of them for my wife model 8310 I think it is.

I have heard some horror stories about the At&t TILT made by HTC so I'd say avoid it for sure.

If you are interested in staying out of a contract you may be interested in an unlocked device. I bought mine from Tiger Direct a.k.a. CompUsa Online.

Oh and yes I was able to log on to Woody's.

OK, I'm JEALOUS!!! I would really like one of those. Is it one of the overseas ones or made for US use?

I have an iPhone and love it but the N95 is just plain awesome!!

Right now the iPhone won't sync with Outlook but that is supposed to be available eventually. I can check my Yahoo account with just one tap. I have a Woody's icon on the main screen that I just tap and in takes me to the forum!
Camera sucks.
Hopefully the 3G version will be better and maybe they'll offer an upgrade program.

Nautical Son

Q, mine is the US model. I did alot of research before plucking down 600+ for it. I wanted the iphone but dislike the fact that I can't recieve pics directly to the phone.
It's a little bit of a pain to have to double/triple tap to text but other than that so far so good.
I have a problem with being trapped in a 2 yr contract with a company that changes names every 6 or 8 months, hence the unlocked phone and only $20/month for unlimited data/email 200 texts above my $45/month plan with rollovers. My company pays for the service I have to pay for the phone if I want to change (which I do frequently)

JohnK, How do you guess they get the refurbed phones (tilt)out so quick , they were returned from people who couldn't stand the fact they had to reboot so often.

I have everything it has plus my GPS doesn't require a service plan thru tele-nav.
Just playing with the GPS feature it was more accurate than my Garmin 498C on the boat.

Nautical Son

I looked at the Blackjack2 just didn't appeal to me. I can use the google maps or Nokia maps pretty much the same cartography no matter which way you go.

I can only suggest doing a ton of research before buying anything electronic on your own dime, I am very cautious about listening to sales hype and whatnot and would rather have real world reviews to go on.

I can also say without question to stay away from the motorola stuff the reception on fringe areas is horrible.

teethdoc

I have a palm trio 680. I like the Palm OS better than the Windows. I have been quite pleased. You might be surprised how much you will use the internet function to look up phone numbers, directions, or looking at Woody's while in the deer stand.