Smith M&P AR vs Ruger 556

flynlow

None of these things amount to a hill of beans really. What all sport models are missing that is important is a chrome lined barrel.

Smith models 811000 and 811003 are the best buys in the AR world, IMO.
Agreed, but this wasn't about barrels or any other features other than the fwd assist and dust cover between the gen 1 and gen 2 models Dutch was asking about. And for the average guy on a budget who only shoots for fun or occasional hog hunt or yote hunt, there is nothing wrong with the melonite barrel. I have shot mine ruthlessly without narry a hiccup, even with cheap tula ammo.

ryanh487

Melonite coating is better than chrome. It's more durable, more corrosion resistant, has less effect on accuracy, it's slicker, and best of all it's cheaper. I would take melonite over chrome any day.

MCBUCK

Thread starter #23
Got the M&P. Still in the box. I'll try to get to the range soon and post a little range report. Already it has a better trigger than the Wyndham. It does not have the M4 profile barrel but the more A2 look.

flynlow

Got the M&P. Still in the box. I'll try to get to the range soon and post a little range report. Already it has a better trigger than the Wyndham. It does not have the M4 profile barrel but the more A2 look.
You won't be disappointed. Let us know how you like it at the range. :clap:

MCBUCK

Thread starter #25
I just couldn't get any accuracy out of the Wyndham AR. I was starting to lose confidence in the reputation of ARs. A few years back I had a Ruger Mini 581 that was money at 100yds using factory peep sights. Let's see how this Smith does and I'll let y'all know.