Smith Model 10-5 fell into my lap!!!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
IMG_20240322_195943578~2.jpg

It's a very nice example, but not too nice to shoot and carry.

Mid 1960s, original grips, as issued 60 years ago.

Gave it a good clean and servicing this morning, and it is unbelievably slick. They just don't take the time and trouble to make them like this anymore.

Seller even threw in a very old and dried out holster. Snaps were broken, and the retaining strap was broken. I decided to oil and dye the thing, add some simple leather thong retention, and see if it will live...

IMG_20240322_200353416.jpg

Should do well for woods walkin', and I already had a couple good street carry options on hand.

Excited to shoot it some, as soon as the rain clears out!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Took the thing out back and shot up a half a box, bouncing a Diet Dew bottle from 5 to 15 yards.

The old Mod 10 shoots better than I do... :bounce:

Got it loaded with some Speer Gold Dots, and an extra speed loader.

Can't help but wonder how long it's been since this thing saw street duty...:)

BriarPatch99

Story... The Police Chief in the small town of Nicholls had one exactly like that pistol... this was back in late '70s/early '80s.... my wife's Uncle knew the Chief really well ...
Some how the subject of his pistol not shooting like he thought... any way Uncle told the Chief that he should let me look at the pistol..... "we" made an appointment to meet up at the city dump/sand pit on the edge of town...

I ask him to shoot it a few times ...bottles and cans at about 15 yards... sure enough he was hitting about 1/4 of his shots... I had already give the pistol a quick look ...but did a much closer examination... not finding anything "wrong" with it ... I ask if I could shoot it a few times ....well it turns out nothing was wrong at all with the pistol... I busted the first six bottles right off...

The Model 10 had a very sweet and light single action trigger and the double was really nice too... He went to the police car and handed me three boxes of ammo(city furnished) ... before we left a couple hours later... the Chief's shooting had "improved" quite a lot...

He is dead and gone now... wonder what happened to the model 10.... sure would loved to "have" it ...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Story... The Police Chief in the small town of Nicholls had one exactly like that pistol... this was back in late '70s/early '80s.... my wife's Uncle knew the Chief really well ...
Some how the subject of his pistol not shooting like he thought... any way Uncle told the Chief that he should let me look at the pistol..... "we" made an appointment to meet up at the city dump/sand pit on the edge of town...

I ask him to shoot it a few times ...bottles and cans at about 15 yards... sure enough he was hitting about 1/4 of his shots... I had already give the pistol a quick look ...but did a much closer examination... not finding anything "wrong" with it ... I ask if I could shoot it a few times ....well it turns out nothing was wrong at all with the pistol... I busted the first six bottles right off...

The Model 10 had a very sweet and light single action trigger and the double was really nice too... He went to the police car and handed me three boxes of ammo(city furnished) ... before we left a couple hours later... the Chief's shooting had "improved" quite a lot...

He is dead and gone now... wonder what happened to the model 10.... sure would loved to "have" it ...
Cool story. Just the kind of stuff I like about these old weapons...

Nobody will be talking about the history of an old Glock like this fifty years from now...:geek:

Lilly001

An old holster worn one would be more like the one she was issued.
I’ll have to check with my brother. I think he got an old one when Dad died. I’m sure I can trade something for it. Then it’ll be a double memorial.

Latest posts