Snake boots...or just some good rubber boots?

tknight

So, I was wondering what you all prefer. Are dedicated "snake" boots really needed or would just a good pair of rubber boots be just fine? I will say this, in the past 10 years I've only run across two snakes (that I saw) and they were both rattle snakes!

Booner Killa

I think it depends on where you hunt and snake densities. A good pair of snake boots are cheap insurance in my opinion. Having said that, I wore snake boots for ten years while turkey hunting. I finally wore em out and just haven't replaced them and have been wearing rubber boots the last five or so years. They are more comfortable than any snake boots I have worn but if I ever were to get hit by a venomous snake, I will have wished I had on snake boots.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I started out with the old buckle-up green canvas-wire mesh snake leggings over jungle boots, to just jungle boots, and then to snake boots after a friend had a near miss. Last year a foot injury required rubber boots, but with a zipper to get them on my feet. LeChameau Chasseurs--pricey, but worth it to me. Comfortable and waterproof, but not snake proof. Postman today delivered a pair of Turtleskin gaiters that fit over the boots. Foot still not completely covered but from mid ankle up to the knees, protected. I've tried three different brands of Gore-tex lined snake boots, all advertised as waterproof, but none kept feet dry.

Mudfeather

I usually wear snake boots. When deer hunting I watch were I step. I figure if I am ever going to bit its going to be moving on a gobbling turkey because my eyes are where I heard the last gobble, not on the ground.

I am shopping for a new pair also. Cabelas no longer has the ones I loved that were great. I noticed that the rubber boot companies have come out with some. I might go that route and try them. All of the snake boots I have had actually leaked until this last pair of cabelas. They held up for 4 years. Longest I ever had but they dont have that style anymore.

DRBugman85

Down here in South Georgia I wear my Rocky snake boots every time I go to the woods.Started out in the LLBean tall hunting boot and finally wore them out,and after killing many cottonmouth moccasins and diamondback rattlesnakes while turkey and deer hunting I will have Snake proof boot on while hunting.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Snake boots for me , I'm a lot less nervous and can keep my mind on something else besides stepping on a snake , especially before daylight

Lumpkin Hunter

Danner snake boots for me. I've ran across a few rattlers while hunting and feel the snake boots are just another precaution for me to take. Like another said sometimes when I hear a gobbler and I have to move on him I don't pay much attention to where I am stepping. The Danners are a little pricy but I have had mine for around 10 years and wear them all turkey season and most of deer season. Still water proof have no issues with them. I hope they hold up a few more years. One thing I will say I buy boots with a leather foot then I keep them rubbed down with mink oil which helps keep them soft and supple while helping the seams repel water.
Works for me.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Chippewa buffalo hide snake boots. I trust Chippewa all leather snake boots with my life.

Down here in South Georgia I wear my Rocky snake boots every time I go to the woods.Started out in the LLBean tall hunting boot and finally wore them out,and after killing many cottonmouth moccasins and diamondback rattlesnakes while turkey and deer hunting I will have Snake proof boot on while hunting.
I wear a pair of Rocky slip ones and they heavy leather and ballistic nylon. Great boots

sowgabuckstalker

Crazy to even consider not wearing them IMO. But again, depends where you hunt I guess? In Georgia, you better have them on this time a year, I were them all times a year when in woods.

blong

I guess it's a cultural thing. I know a lot of turkey hunters in ms and we all wear lacrosse burly or grange and have for years. That's all I ever see the Primos crew wearing also so that confirms my suspicions.

shdw633

I was real good about wearing my snake boots throughout the years and like the OP I saw very very few snakes, so one time I decided to go without them to check a foodplot in my tennis shoes and when I got out there all it looked like was a field of sand. I started walking with my head down looking at what little growth was there when out of the corner of my eye I caught the head of a huge diamondback only a couple of feed away from me!!! Would have loved to have video the jump that I made when my mind realized what my eyes were looking at as I wouldn't have believed that this big ole body was capable of that kind of distance!! Luckily the four footer was not coiled and really paid me no mind but I can tell you that I NEVER go out into the woods without them now!! You never need them until you do and if you don't have them on at that time you may not be as lucky as I was.

I wear them but they wouldn't have helped during my last encounter. I was at rich mountain wma, didn't glance at the ground before I sat, slapped my backpack right on top of a timber rattler. :shoot:

dtala

I guess it's a cultural thing. I know a lot of turkey hunters in ms and we all wear lacrosse burly or grange and have for years. That's all I ever see the Primos crew wearing also so that confirms my suspicions.

I was wearing LaCrosse Grange rubber boots in 1985 when a five foot rattler hit me 2" below the top of the boot. Fang went thru that rubber boot like a hot knife thru butter.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I won`t ever trust a pair of rubber boots against a big rattlesnake, diamondback or canebrake. Even if they are advertised as snakeproof.

meatseeker

I guess it's like health insurance. A waste of money.....until you need it. Then it's worth every penny

brittonl

I've recently moved away from the LAX Burly & picked up a pair of Danner snake boots. Just to risky not to & imagine all of the remote places solo one may travel each spring. With a wife & 3 children, I can't take that chance anymore.

As far as the Danners, they've broke in nice so far & seem to do just fine with water. Hopefully they'll last some years. Good luck!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/DANN...gclid=CNGKwN2i19ICFRY9gQodStoP2A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:

JMB

Snake Boots: $240
ER, Hospital, and Anti-Venom Treatment: $100,000k plus

For copperheads, 12 Benadryl and a shot of antibiotics lol

Snake boots are a lot like a gun...when you need it, you REALLY need it

Bubba_1122

To whoever says they just keep their eyes open for them, you're fooling yourself..

Several years ago I was walking through some woods (had on snake chaps with regular hunting boots).

Stepped over some grape vines and bam! A 4 1/2' timber rattler popped my left leg on the outside of my calf.

Thankfully I had on those snake chaps, and virtually ricochet'd off of the chaps.

Here's the deal for the "I'll just keep an eye open for them" crowd.

I saw the snake strike, but when it coiled up to pop again, he was in oak leaves. I had to really look hard to pick up the shape because he blended into the leaves so well. It was 4 feet away straight down. And honestly, the snake never rattled (seldom have I seen a timber rattler rattle - and I've seen a few canebrakes).

These snakes are patterned for a purpose. It ain't to make them pretty. It's to camouflage them.

Be smart out there in the woods.