Snake ID Help

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Seen this little fellow while out scouting around today. If I remember correctly, I'd say he was between 12 to 15 inches long. Cool looking little fellow. Notice the stripes under his neck. I know nearly all of our state snakes, but this one has me stumped. Could it be a worm snake? You can click on the images to enlarge them.

IMG_1074 small.JPG

IMG_1075 small.JPG

Silver Britches

Glass snake
I believe you are right. Can't say if I have or haven't seen one before. I guess it's technically a lizard. And the whole time I was thinking how much he looked like a lizard with no legs.

Thanks man.

Silver Britches

Yep. they`re a major food for coral snakes. They love em.
I've not seen a coral snake in many years. The last one I remember seeing, I had sat down to rest on a log while out scouting. As I was sitting there, I poked at the rotten part of the log to see what may be in there. You guessed it, that's when the coral snake slithered out. I haven't seen very many of them to be honest. But I see a lot of rattlers, copperheads, and cottonmouths my way.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've not seen a coral snake in many years. The last one I remember seeing, I had sat down to rest on a log while out scouting. As I was sitting there, I poked at the rotten part of the log to see what may be in there. You guessed it, that's when the coral snake slithered out. I haven't seen very many of them to be honest. But I see a lot of rattlers, copperheads, and cottonmouths my way.

Whenever I`d catch a coral snake, I`d usually put them in a paper sack until I could get them to Silver Springs. Heap of times when I`d check on it, it would have done spit up a glass lizard.

Silver Britches

Whenever I`d catch a coral snake, I`d usually put them in a paper sack until I could get them to Silver Springs. Heap of times when I`d check on it, it would have done spit up a glass lizard.
Interesting. I reckon they probably live in the same type of areas and encounter each other often, which is why. May I ask why you were taking the coral snakes to Silver Springs for?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Interesting. I reckon they probably live in the same type of areas and encounter each other often, which is why. May I ask why you were taking the coral snakes to Silver Springs for?

I was selling them to the park alive. They used them in their snake exhibit. This was back in the mid 1970s.

oops1

Buzzard Expert

That's like how I came across the only one I've ever seen. Planting a new food plot in an old stand of pines..rolled a rotten log out of the way and here he was. Haven't seennone since.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was selling them to the park alive. They used them in their snake exhibit. This was back in the mid 1970s.
The only wild coral snake Ive ever seen in my life was on a trail through the woods at Silver Springs. You didn't drop one, did you? :bounce:

I've never seen a glass lizard in the wild.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The only wild coral snake Ive ever seen in my life was on a trail through the woods at Silver Springs. You didn't drop one, did you? :bounce:

I've never seen a glass lizard in the wild.

Well, I did catch one when i wasn`t snake hunting and all I had to put it in was a paper sack. Snake was only about 18 inches long. I twisted the top of the bag tight and put it on the truck seat. As I was easing along down the dirt road the top of that bag untwisted and out of the corner of my eye I saw that little feller crawl out and land on the seat beside me. I just kicked it into neutral and rolled out of the truck. It went off in the ditch and naturally the snake went under the seat. I like to have never got that little varmint out without having bad results for both of us. facepalm:

I`ve had some wild times, I`ll tell ya....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I did catch one when i wasn`t snake hunting and all I had to put it in was a paper sack. Snake was only about 18 inches long. I twisted the top of the bag tight and put it on the truck seat. As I was easing along down the dirt road the top of that bag untwisted and out of the corner of my eye I saw that little feller crawl out and land on the seat beside me. I just kicked it into neutral and rolled out of the truck. It went off in the ditch and naturally the snake went under the seat. I like to have never got that little varmint out without having bad results for both of us. facepalm:

:bounce: I’d like to have seen a video of that.

egomaniac247

I haven't posted on this forum in years and I just had to say that the mental imagery of someone throwin 'er in neutral and just opening the door and rolling out was so hilarious I had to post and say kudos to you sir!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I haven't posted on this forum in years and I just had to say that the mental imagery of someone throwin 'er in neutral and just opening the door and rolling out was so hilarious I had to post and say kudos to you sir!

Thank you kindly. :cheers:

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova

YEP, I WOULD HAVE PAID GOOD MONEY TO HAVE WITNESSED THAT EPISODE...IT COULD HAVE BEEN TITLED..... "NIC'S REPTILE LAND OF ADVENTURES" !!!!!!!!

The sad thing is that I can't go back into the woods for a while now because of my recent accident that has caused foot and knee problems, BUT when I do, I probably will be looking for snakes all over the place now !!! :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe