Snakeheads in Ga

RamblinWreck

So on CBS46 tonight they had a story where a bunch of DNR folks with nets were searching Beaver Ruin creek for them.

46news story

proepro

So how to catch a snakehead? I fish in the yellow river watershed where it was found.

The person that caught it turned it in so hopefully they are cooperating to clean up the pond.

ShoalBandit

Again it may be 'private property' but we don't have natural lakes above the Fall Line. Just about every pond/lake that holds water continuously in this state is manmade. Most have water flowing in and out if/when it rains hard enough so these fish (and their offspring) will spread to other parts of the Yellow Creek drainage.

While this is certainly not good news I suspect the overall impact to black bass fisheries will be minimal because snakeheads generally occupy the same niche as bowfin. Obviously if you have a pond they're going to have a greater impact than to say fisheries like the Yellow River or Lake Lanier.

The saddest thing about this story IMO is the illegal introduction and spread of nonnative black bass has done considerably more damage to native black bass populations and ruined countless fisheries yet it doesn't even make the evening news.

Last edited:

TroyBoy30

they are a blast to catch and great to eat. they have not seemed to cause any ill affects to the bass populations in other areas. some would even say flat heads do more damage. Everyone freaked when they were found in the Potomac, had no effect. if the bass can survive with striper the can handle anything.

Tarpfisher

I don't find that funny at all. Not one bit. They have ruined many of my favorite smallmouth, walleye, and white bass lakes by moving spots and bluebacks around. It's not a conspiracy theory, they have been caught in the act a time or two. I hope they choke on a blueback herring.

The only part that is funny is that anytime transporting fish comes up its always at the blame of tournament anglers. You know good and well that there have been plenty of billies that have transported fish, but that is never mentioned.

I have a pretty good idea how the smallmouth ended up in the hooch and it has nothing todo with tournaments.

There are all walks of life that have no business messing with wildlife.

RamblinWreck

These fish mostly come from the aquarium trade. I am old enough to recall the walking catfish.

To those with aquariums: the toilet is better for the earth than the nearest stream if you can't keep your pets anymore. Just do it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The only part that is funny is that anytime transporting fish comes up its always at the blame of tournament anglers. You know good and well that there have been plenty of billies that have transported fish, but that is never mentioned.

I have a pretty good idea how the smallmouth ended up in the hooch and it has nothing todo with tournaments.

There are all walks of life that have no business messing with wildlife.
It's not all tournament fishermen, but they are up to their necks in it. Regardless of who is moving spots and bluebacks around, they should face some serious consequences if they are caught, which thy almost never are. They ruin things for everybody else, and for our native fish.