So ... here's a new one for me!

Dupree

Sure it wasn’t a 22 short instead of a pellet? One of the guys that works for me says that’s what they use to shoot turkeys in Mexico.

Blackston

Sure it wasn’t a 22 short instead of a pellet? One of the guys that works for me says that’s what they use to shoot turkeys in Mexico.
22 short is a bad dose …I’ve got a picture somewhere of a 300 lb sow that dropped like a stone from a short

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Wow! What a crazy day and glad everyone is safe! I’d bet a .22, but even the Wally World pellet guns are pretty deadly. I’m just stoked you got to see it! My guess is anytime you see a gobbler coming 1000 yards across a field, there’s a chance someone else is watching him too!

Mackie889

It sounded like it was an air gun w/ a "woosh" of air, so I think that's what it was. The hole in the breast meat was larger than a BB, so am thinking a pellet. They can also be bought over the counter w/out ID.

Deerhead

Pouching is not acceptable. When I know someone is hungry I gladly give food. I have a guy working for me and I give him all my deer meat. He is very appreciative.

Mackie889

Pouching is not acceptable. When I know someone is hungry I gladly give food. I have a guy working for me and I give him all my deer meat. He is very appreciative.
I hear you and agree totally. I have worked my butt off (2-3 jobs at a time) for over 35 years to be able to purchase a piece of property that I can try and manage the wildlife on. I put a good amount down, have a substantial mortgage payment, plus property taxes to pay. It ticks me off for that to have happened, and to think my nephew may have gotten a shot at that nice bird! That guy pays NOTHING and surely has no hunting license either! I just hope that the game warden scared them away from future trespassing / poaching. I had 2 game cameras and a feeder stolen last season ... I wonder if that group was responsible for that too?!

buckpasser

I hear you and agree totally. I have worked my butt off (2-3 jobs at a time) for over 35 years to be able to purchase a piece of property that I can try and manage the wildlife on. I put a good amount down, have a substantial mortgage payment, plus property taxes to pay. It ticks me off for that to have happened, and to think my nephew may have gotten a shot at that nice bird! That guy pays NOTHING and surely has no hunting license either! I just hope that the game warden scared them away from future trespassing / poaching. I had 2 game cameras and a feeder stolen last season ... I wonder if that group was responsible for that too?!

I joked earlier, because it’s such an odd story, but you’re right. It’s not cool! There are some pretty slick security camera options these days. You might be money well spent to get some watching the likely areas.

coastalredneck

i did not read all the comments but im pretty impressed by this Chico's ability to cap a bird with no camo and a pettet gun at 100 yards?? wow.. lol

edited... btw.. not impressed by his poacher antics.. hope the DNR helps you rid this problem!

Last edited:

Mackie889

i did not read all the comments but im pretty impressed by this Chico's ability to cap a bird with no camo and a pettet gun at 100 yards?? wow.. lol
We helped "Chico" because we had the gobbler's undivided attention. The gobbler was focused on our decoys & calling (which was about 80 yards away from him to his "front"). The trespassing poacher was in the woods behind the turkey only about 20 yards away from him. We were lucky because the poacher was shooting towards us. The poacher had no idea that we were there

Kev

I hope the game warden scared them also. Let me mention beforehand, I know these people aren’t usually the problem with poaching, but if a middle class tax payer got caught poaching in the act mentioned of above, they’d pay for it big time. It just stinks that laws only get enforced on the legal tax payers.

Latest posts