So I'm allergic to Deer

wet feet

I love to deer hunt but I have a small problem. I am allergic to deer. I shot a nice doe today and had no more drug her out of the woods ans I could not hardly breath, my eyes where almost swollen shut, nose was running 100 miles an hour and my neck and face had broke out. I love to hunt but it is getting to where I almost don't want to shoot a deer . When I clean one I have to where elbow glove and a respirator and that sucks. Is there any thing I can do or take to help me with this so I can enjoy harvesting a deer.
:cry:

Cottontail

Me to i kill all of them i see ... (lol) Take benadryl before you go just make sure you wear your safety harness ....

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
I love to deer hunt but I have a small problem. I am allergic to deer. I shot a nice doe today and had no more drug her out of the woods ans I could not hardly breath, my eyes where almost swollen shut, nose was running 100 miles an hour and my neck and face had broke out. I love to hunt but it is getting to where I almost don't want to shoot a deer . When I clean one I have to where elbow glove and a respirator and that sucks. Is there any thing I can do or take to help me with this so I can enjoy harvesting a deer.

Not being a jerk but go see an Allergist......They will give you some Meds that will help you through the symptons....My middle son is allergic to almost everything and at certain times of the year we have to give him certain meds to help him through it.

Bruz

patchestc

just get somebody to help u with the dragging and skinning

Hoyt Mathews

Dude....I have the same problem.

1) Go by a drag rope here This is half the battle.

2) Carry "wipes", of some sort, in your truck to clean up with on the way home.

3) Take a claritin, benadryl, tylenol allergy/sinus, etc. on the way to clean it. I keep'em in my truck because my ride home is 30 - 60 minutes, so it has time to get in my system good.

4) Gloves are good for cleaning- I dont use them though. I keep the water hose close by and periodically spray my hands during the cleaning process. It seems to help when you are wet as opposed to dry.

This is my routine.....hope this helps.

BIGBUCK9

Same here I just take an Allegra D no problems. My Doc tells me it is the " Dander" on the deer ( dust,dirt, etc...)

Doyle

I'm not allergic to deer, but I do tend to have bad allergy problems after being in the woods all day. I take a generic claritin the night before I go, then another one in the morning. Seems to stop it before it ever starts.

BigDogDaddy

I am the same exact way and it never hit me until about 3 years ago. I killed a doe opening morning of bow season and was by myself down at our land. by the time I had her drug out, cleaned, and loaded on the truck my left eye had swole shut, I had broke out and nose was runnin like the devil, no water to wash....flat out miserable!! I keep benedryl and latex gloves in my truck for when I go to clean one now and try my darndest to watch and make sure I dont get any hair near my eyes. Not allergic to the meat, jsut the "dander"

Tank1202

A little :offtopic: but I think they are allergic to me.They seem to want to stay away from me.

Good luck

Tana 2009

A little :offtopic: but I think they are allergic to me.They seem to want to stay away from me.

Good luck

I think that I have the same problem to this year:cheers:. It seems that they have a 50 yard complex with me this year. The closest they can get is 50 yards. I am thinking about stretching out an arrow and touching one.

shakey gizzard

Are you sure you didnt drag it through a field of ragweed?:huh: Ihave no allergy problems all year until the ragweed starts to bloom.:banginghe

Mr W.

I'm the same way with cats. Well i gave in to my children and got them a kitten to stay on porch a few months ago. Well not even a day went by and i was in welts, sneezing, itching. Instead of breaking their hearts i tried Zertec allergy meds. If i don't miss a day of Zertec i can sit on porch with them and pet the kittens. You can get the generic brand at freds cheap.

killitgrillit

I'am allergic to live deer, and the only cure is to drag them across the Big green egg and chase them with a cold beer.:D

Outdoorsnole

I have the same problem that started 4 years ago. It is absolutely miserable. Walk into a taxidermist shop and you feel like you're about to die.

I never had a problem in my life and then one year I was skinning a buck and could barely breath. Almost called paramedics but the benadryl finally kicked in. I went to the doctors and they gave me an epi pen for a couple years and luckily never had to use it. It seems like it's slowly getting better. Still though, I cleaned a deer yesterday and my hands started to itch bad and had a rash on them.

I take a generic claritin night before I hunt and then right when I shoot a deer so it has time to kick in before I clean it. I wear gloves to skin it and then I'm good. I also carry FourWay nose spray that'll open you back up and eye drops for when my eyes decide to swell shut. It's a pain but it's just something some of us have to deal with. When I'm lucky I'll have a friend skin the deer for me.

BobKat

Thats Got To Suck I Think Im Allergic To Everything Except Deer Thank Goodness

Jeff Phillips

My Bro-In-Law, Back Log, is the same way!

He starts cleaning one and his eyes get read and watery, nose starts running, makes him sick. It has to be the dander, cause he eats it with no ill effect.

adebord30183

My cousin had this issue and started taking benadryl an hour before he would go into work at the taxidermist shop and he is fine with it now. The benadryl is an inhibitor and they told him to slowly whein hiself off it and his immune system would build up to the dander in the hide. Hope this helps.