So my first time goin in on henson creek anybody know if this area at the upper campground gets crowded opening weekend of bow season?

Christian hughey

Just lookin to get out there and put an arrow in the wind. I really appreciate all the solid advice I have gained. From talking to guys that know the area a bit better than me. Hope we can drop a nice one early and get back to deer huntin just in time for the rut.

Killer Kyle

That is exactly what I am getting from it but there are others out there like us
When you name specific places on forums where potentially hundreds or thousands of people can see what you write (like on this forum), you just told everybody on the internet where you plan to hunt. Since likely hundreds of people could have seen this location by now, I definitely WILL NOT be hunting there. Don't mention specific places on a public forum from now on. All you are doing is inviting company!

Christian hughey

I'm company, your company bro my bad did I give away your spot because I have this discussion with jackholes on wma's from time to time that it's public land and there's plenty of it. that's what this forum was for. I thought was to lend advice and talk about our good times and bad. I'm not giving coordinates. Or a hard time. I'm just suggesting a place to go in. I'm no great bear hunter. Pretty good with deer but I wouldn't follow me on a bear hunt. Just look'in for advice.

Buckman18

Just look'in for advice.

You just got some. Hopefully you got it. Anybody with half a brain and 3 acres of land can kill deer. Bear hunting is much more difficult. Listing hunting areas is bad karma. If you’re looking for advice, there are plenty of threads in the history of this forum that’ll help you. Trying to get intel about ‘a ridge,’ ‘a creek,’ etc will get you ignored.

Last edited:

Christian hughey

Look I got some great info from you guys to get my hunt started hope you guys get a big one. But all I did was ask how crowded this area gets it is a wma and a big one at that I have done my research and found that this one is pretty good for bear, public info anyone can read your taking me wrong so have a nice hunting season like you said most aren't willing to walk that far anyway:sneaky:

Buckman18

Look I got some great info from you guys to get my hunt started hope you guys get a big one. But all I did was ask how crowded this area gets it is a wma and a big one at that I have done my research and found that this one is pretty good for bear, public info anyone can read your taking me wrong so have a nice hunting season like you said most aren't willing to walk that far anyway:sneaky:

A better strategy for you might be to go scouting. Take note and pictures of what you find, post it here and you’ll find plenty of folks willing to lend advice. If a seasoned bear hunter sees you’ve been working for it, he may be more inclined to meet you in the middle.

Just leave the ‘where’ out of the conversation unless you reference an elevation number or the name of a wma. That said, Jbogg would make a good dragging partner...

Christian hughey

I can respect that I am limited to time in the field and do as much scouting before each hunt as possible. If I see something worth sharing I will of course. But I'm just asking if it gets crowded. I know between bear hunters,fisherman,biker,vacationers,and other dummies areas can be crowded and I don't wanna be there. But knowing it's shut down and won't have a lot a lot of traffic so it might be a good start. Thanks again for the advice. Didnt mean to point anyone your way and if you need help dragging I'll be around:censored:

Joe Brandon

Please don't think nobody's been on the top end of that WMA and down the intersecting fs roads. Just took my Trek (its a pretty bad little bugger that will get me where I need to go quick) all through there last week and had a blast. Saw other tire tracks from bikes as well so others are thinking just like the rest. One thing I've realized is that if I "think" an area might produce so do hundreds of others lol. If you see a hunter orange Trek mountain bike this season flying by you don't worry I'm heading elsewhere!Screenshot_20180819-103445_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Christian hughey

You don't need to walk miles to find em but just like any other animal you have to get away from a lot of people traffic and use ALL of your resources happy huntin

twincedargap

I walked 19 miles in just one day last week. So don't think others won't be doing the same. Also, I'm a biker, so I notice bike tires & tread, and as Joe suggested, there were multiple bike tracks, on just about every FS road I was on, high & low.

Killer Kyle

I'm company, your company bro my bad did I give away your spot because I have this discussion with jackholes on wma's from time to time that it's public land and there's plenty of it. that's what this forum was for. I thought was to lend advice and talk about our good times and bad. I'm not giving coordinates. Or a hard time. I'm just suggesting a place to go in. I'm no great bear hunter. Pretty good with deer but I wouldn't follow me on a bear hunt. Just look'in for advice.

I'm not criticizing you, I'm giving you advice that you need to listen to. If you name a place online, you could be ruining it for yourself and yourself alone in the future. I don't hunt there so this post doesn't affect me, but it affects YOU. On the interwebs, loose lips sink ships. Every hunter should have his secrets.

Timberman

Facts^^^^. I ran into another member on this board while hunting last year and we swore each other to secrecy over a blood oath!

Christian hughey

I get it, I won't tell you guys where ima be anymore lol. Even if the hunting is or isn't good since I have never hunted there and I don't have a clue as to how the good the hunting is. I'm no bear hunter so like I said to anyone reading this thread I am a deer hunter turned bear. I wouldn't follow me around out there. You need some blood I got plenty I'm A-

Timberman

Lol it’s no biggy mountain hunters are that way. It’s a huge area and game is very localized at times with large areas devoid of game. So when you find a place that produces you can’t blame someone for not inviting attention to it. Chances are much time and effort went into finding it.

My son and I have been working on our first still hunt mountain bear for several years. We didn’t ask about anything just got some maps together and started walking. Through a process of elimination, trial and error, and paying attention we now have several areas we are confident we can get on a bear. Killing him however is an entirely different matter lol.

Christian hughey

Yeah trust me i know my first year up I got In hung a stand in a real good look'in oak draw off scenic hwy that i found on the map and my first morning in I had a real nice looking bear (hard to judge that far but he was alone and he didnt look little) come in bout 30 mins after light (talk about beginers luck) and crested around the ridge about 80 yards out and steadily walked down and away from me. There was a nice game trail 30 yards below me and I sat there all that day and the day after. Saw no more animals. But hooked for life. Went back hunted the same game trail one weekend last year and saw nothing. So look'in to change it up.