Sobering statistics

gunnurse

Just a little important info to pass on.
1. If you are over 50 years old and cannot sit down in the floor and get back up without using your hands/arms, you are seven times more likely to die in the next six years than someone who can.
2. Women who are aged 61-69 and sustain a hip fracture are seven times more likely to die within a year than women without fractures. Rehab aggressiveness and positive mental attitude lessens this statistic.
3. People who walk slower are likely more likely to die early. A speed of 3 feet per second when walking indicates a longer life expectancy than someone who walked say 24-28 inches per second. Walking is a culmination of practically every body system working together- respiratory, cardiac, circulatory, neurological, etc. Step it up.

I post this here as a man nearing 60. If I do not aggressively change my body mass and activity, I am doomed. Don’t be doomed.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I found this related video on the getting up from sitting on the floor;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Oh boy, you put out some ignorant attractant, let's see who you catch.:rofl:

"1. If you are over 50 years old and cannot sit down in the floor and get back up without using your hands/arms, you are seven times more likely to die in the next six years than someone who can."

Here I'm Iz!

I just did it like a 30 yr old and I'm 62. :biggestshoot:

gunnurse

About #2-
Immobility due to poor rehab makes blood clots more likely. Blood clots make pulmonary embolism, heart attacks, and strokes more likely. Poor mobility lessens g.i. function. Vast hormonal changes in post menopausal women heighten healthrisks with concomitant health conditions. And, let’s face it. Poor mental attitude of being vital and mobile one moment and immobile and in great pain the next is horrendous. My mom fell at age 73 and broke a hip. Her lack of a warrior spirit, fear of re-falling, and self-confining herself to a wheelchair killed her in 13 months from repeated pneumonias and blood clots.

sinclair1

I walk 8 miles a day at work but I need to pick up my speed because I have actually put on a few pounds. I hit about 17 thousand steps a day.

Artfuldodger

About #2-
Immobility due to poor rehab makes blood clots more likely. Blood clots make pulmonary embolism, heart attacks, and strokes more likely. Poor mobility lessens g.i. function. Vast hormonal changes in post menopausal women heighten healthrisks with concomitant health conditions. And, let’s face it. Poor mental attitude of being vital and mobile one moment and immobile and in great pain the next is horrendous. My mom fell at age 73 and broke a hip. Her lack of a warrior spirit, fear of re-falling, and self-confining herself to a wheelchair killed her in 13 months from repeated pneumonias and blood clots.

OK that explains it. Sorry to hear about your Mom.

gunnurse

I walk 8 miles a day at work but I need to pick up my speed because I have actually put on a few pounds. I hit about 17 thousand steps a day.

I think about the old Tim Conway skit on Carol Burnett where he took thousands on steps but went nowhere. Prolly a poor analogy with your post, but still a funny memory.

Artfuldodger

"1. If you are over 50 years old and cannot sit down in the floor and get back up without using your hands/arms, you are seven times more likely to die in the next six years than someone who can."

Here I'm Iz!

I'm 62 as well, no problem for me. I got up on my knee first and then after watching the video I posted, slid down cross legged and stood up that way. That was actually easier than using my knee.
My wife is 63 and did it as graceful as I did.

I would say part of it is balance and core exercises. One should be able to put his pants on standing up without leaning on something as well.

I had one of those big balls you sit on to watch TV or play on the computer but the cat jumped on it and the air went out. Those balls are harder than than you think when you start doing some of the actual exercises.

Cmp1

BANNED

Here I'm Iz!

Pics,or it didnt happen,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I passed the sit-stand test. I'm still gonna die. :)