SoDak 2018

Gator89

Season opened yesterday with near perfect weather, sunny, high 50s and a 10 to 15 mph breeze. I killed my first bird at 1201.

Attachments

• 2018-10-21 06.36.02.jpg
    2018-10-21 06.36.02.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 10

Gator89

Due to a couple of weeks of wet weather, the harvest is behind schedule and birds have lots of cover. We made 3 - 4 walks with few birds flushed and none harvested.

We loaded up and headed over to a corn field that the farmer had cut strips in just that morning with a break in the middle. We walked three 1/2 mile strip from west to east. Our thought was to push the birds into a couple of smaller strip on the easy end of the field.

So with 6 walkers, 3 blockers and one dog we began our push through 2 two small strips. Even though we saw a few birds leak out this push worked to perfection, as we got to the last 35 - 40 yards, the birds started flushing, there had to 40 to 60 birds in the rows and we had them surrounded and a dog putting the pressure on. We knocked down and recovered 8 roosters on that push. Fortunately I had elected to walk the north side of the strip and was in the catbird'a seat.

Some happy hunters in the photo below.

Attachments

• 2018-10-21 06.33.27.jpg
    2018-10-21 06.33.27.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Gator89

At the end of the day, the farmers invited my friend Mike and I to join them for dinner. We dined on smoked brisket, pork belly, chicken and trimmings. A nice ending to a beautiful and productive day.

This is not outfitter or preserve hunting, wild birds that survive at the perils of nature. The population is still well below the what I experienced in 2009 and 2010, but those 2 to 3 minutes described in the post above will keep me coming back as long as I am welcome and can scrape up gas money to drive.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Looks like a great trip. That’s one I would love to do.
Jeff

Gator89

Weather so far has been as good as one could ask for, mid 60s Sunday. Seeing a decent number of hen's, so hopefully another good spring in 2019 produces a good crop for next year.

Since both dogs will go home this evening, we will probably hunt one more day and start the trek home Tuesday.