Solunar Times

Mark K

Banned
Always wondered about the major and minor feeding times on my Hunt Stand App, so I decided to keep an eye on it over the last several months. I realize it’s not exactly what we would consider ideal weather, but deer have to eat regardless of temps.

Believe it or not, it’s fairly accurate. On mornings that I was there checking traps and it wasn’t in the major or minor times I wouldn’t see hardly any if any moving about. I would see plenty shining the creek bottoms or known areas I normally always see them but they were all bedded.
Here’s where it gets interesting. Hardly saw any early this morning, so I went back just riding during the major times (10:30am-1:30pm). Now it’s Summer time and hot as all get out, but deer were moving...bucks and does.
I always hear the deer ain’t gonna move until early or late when it’s hot. That may just be that the deer ain’t gonna move in front of your stand, lol. Now that doesn’t mean sitting on a feeder in the middle of a field at noon when it’s 90 degrees is gonna get you a deer just because the Solunar Times says it good. But that buck may be walking that creek bottom looking for muscadines or persimmons at noon.
Just something to think about, when it’s hot they are still gonna move/feed, it just may not be where we want them to be.

buckpasser

I’ve got access to a pile of cell cams this year so I was going to cross reference with them to see how accurate the peak times are. Most are on feeders and plots so it should represent “feeding” time well.

Mark K

Banned
My cameras have been pretty accurate too.
My field feeders only at night.
My trough feeders in the bottoms are spot on. Camera reads 103 and deer are stuffing their faces.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Mark I’m curious to know what the major was yesterday ( Sunday) I seen several deer out around 4:30 and I just took it as it was a little cooler after a shower we had , also I know several old timers that really go by it !

reflexman

Snake Dodger
It’s a tool I like to use but as we all know lots of other variables but with fishing you can usually almost set your watch do it. I find it’s even more accurate for fishing just my two cents

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Don't pass up the minor feeding times.

Mark K

Banned
I mainly just wanted to put to rest the “it’s too hot” for the deer to move. They are moving somewhere, lol.
Of course pressure will play a huge role once season starts I’m sure.
I sometimes wonder if there’s an advantage to constantly being on a piece of property VS waiting until season to start frequenting the property as far as pressure is concerned. The same goes for vehicles. The deer know my truck by sound long before they see it. I can drive up and watch deer as close as 100 yards and they’ll acknowledge the truck but won’t spook. Of course the old Ford rattles like a tractor so they may associate it with food, lol.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I mainly just wanted to put to rest the “it’s too hot” for the deer to move. They are moving somewhere, lol.
Of course pressure will play a huge role once season starts I’m sure.
I sometimes wonder if there’s an advantage to constantly being on a piece of property VS waiting until season to start frequenting the property as far as pressure is concerned. The same goes for vehicles. The deer know my truck by sound long before they see it. I can drive up and watch deer as close as 100 yards and they’ll acknowledge the truck but won’t spook. Of course the old Ford rattles like a tractor so they may associate it with food, lol.

facepalm: Loud pipes and deer stalking don’t mix.
I never understood a deer hunter having a loud exhaust.
Then again I drove my work truck to a wma until the muffler fell off. It was loud with the muffler on and much worse once it fell off.
It was too hot to slide back on ( it had done it before) so I backed up scraping gravel and parked. I think it even backfired when I turned it off.
Then I rolled the window down to test my grunt. One grunted back.
It was still dark 2:45 with lightning rolling through. Full moon. So after awhile I headed to the stand extra early trying to get a glimpse of my first buck with a bow. When daylight came I grunted again. Sure nuff 75 yards from the broken truck I spot a small eight pointer coming. Well I missed that deer full daylight between two trees but that buck never spooked he grunted after my shot and kept on walking. The grunt told me it was the same deer from way earlier and being opening day I wasn’t being as quiet as I had planned.
Something told me not to shoot between those trees but I tried anyway and went home without a deer. It was several years before I had another chance with the bow. My skills were forced to improve. That buck haunted me for many many seasons. Mainly because it was the only buck.

Mark K

Banned
Haha! I told my boys they could “accessorize” their trucks however they wanted...except pipes!! Told them too find a new place to live if they did!
I have never understood the reasoning behind that. I don’t want anyone to know it’s me, lol. They have friends they can identify just by the sound of their trucks.

Core Lokt

Haha! I told my boys they could “accessorize” their trucks however they wanted...except pipes!! Told them too find a new place to live if they did!
I have never understood the reasoning behind that. I don’t want anyone to know it’s me, lol. They have friends they can identify just by the sound of their trucks.

right there with ya! I see some of these trucks that sound like they are going 90mph and only going 20 LOL