Someone tell me what this is please

IvyThicket

I am wanting to make a few gravity feeders like this however I cannot find what the piece at the bottom is. I thought initially it was some sort of splash block however can't find anything of resemblance that was metal with a sidewall like is pictured.

Thanks in advance!

p1332209928747671.jpg

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Probably a 1x2 foot metal or aluminum sheet bent in a metal brake, from the looks of the tapered walls.

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
rain guard

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Go to any metal shop and they can bend you one up real quick like.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I think someone made it out of sheet metal

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
What ever it is. It won’t last long here with these hogs.

swamp hunter

One night and the hogs will have the Splash block throwed to the side and the PVC pipe leaned over with the end chewed off some...all the corn gone.

FOLES55

Well whatever it is, that guy has one heck of a spray can camo paint job!!

I need him to do my hunting blinds.

280 Man

Banned
I am wanting to make a few gravity feeders like this however I cannot find what the piece at the bottom is. I thought initially it was some sort of splash block however can't find anything of resemblance that was metal with a sidewall like is pictured.

Thanks in advance!

p1332209928747671.jpg

And 'coons will have a field day with that "splash" guard at the bottom. They will continually be pawing in there not ever letting the corn "back up" as it's designed to do..

RootConservative

It was made by a small machine shop in South Carolina that patented the design. They have since gone out of business. I bought 10 of them 2009-2011 and still have them in use today. My properties are in South Dodge, Telfair and Wilcox counties all close to the Ocmulgee River (Overrun by hogs). I put two cinder blocks under the tray to prevent them from ripping it off and this feeder works great. I might still have one in a box in my garage I'll look tonight to see if I can find out who made it.

treemanjohn

Banned
There's a house in the background so it must be in a subdivision. Just knock on the door and ask him what it is.

Personally I just let it spill on the ground

IvyThicket

There's a house in the background so it must be in a subdivision. Just knock on the door and ask him what it is.

Personally I just let it spill on the ground

I would but I actually found it in an old classified in the Carolina Sportsman magazine.

As for why I like this setup, I live in the NC Mountains near the SC/GA line. I have deer, no hogs, plenty of bear and plenty of rain. My ground has stayed wet nearly all year. I'd like to have it pour into something that will drain and dry out quicker than the dirt. I've contemplated going 4" to a 45 degree at the bottom and just letting them stick their snout down in it however I didn't know if 4" would be big enough. I'd rather not go 6" if I can help it for size sake.

Stroker

Iv'e made something similar out of wood with short sides and end to hold the corn in the tray, I did leave gaps where the end piece meets the sides to allow rain water to drain out. I use 6 or 8 inch PVC pipe which makes it shorter and easier to fill from the ground and still hold 50# of corn. I prefer to cut a large mouse hole to allow the corn to run out, but like 280 Man replied the coons will dig the corn out no matter what you do. I now build hanging broadcast feeders that are squirrel and coon proof, they are expensive but pay for themselves quickly with the corn saved.

ldavid008

If you've got bears be prepared to have it tore up as if you had hogs. They've destroyed many a feeder, trough and are fond of trail cameras too.