Sometimes plan B is the ticket

RipperIII

Killed a nice 10pt. Saturday around 8 a.m.
Friday I had zeroed my rifle at 200yds expecting to hunt a 3yr cutover with some long shot opportunities.
A quick scouting of the area revealed that the cutover was now 6ft high and thick as Rosies hips.
( busy summer prevented any work or scouting )
I over slept and did not arrive at my area until 7a.m., so instead of hunting the cutover, I grabbed a small folding chair and headed into the older pines and set up along an old road bed against a pine with some tall weeds and brush for cover.
This area has traditionally been an active crossing from food to bedding and usually has several scrapes and rublines criss crossing the road bed.
I had not scouted, just had a hunch.
I got situated about 7:45a.m. took a few deep breaths to clear my lungs from all the big city air and just soak in the glory of God's creation.
The light down in this bottom was dim and slightly foggy.
The air was thick with moisture and the smell of wet earth was oh so comforting.
10 minutes passed and being my first day in the woods in quite a long time, my ears jumped to every noise around me.
I noticed what I thought to be a small bird flittering around a small poplar, it fluttered a little too long...so I eased my binos up and saw the ear of a deer, the brush and foliage obscured most of the animal.
I had to lean a good bit to my right for a better look, then he stepped out into view.
He began working a scrape under the poplar limbs.
I don't normally get buck fever...but I definitely felt the surge of adrenaline.
I brought my rifle up, steadied my elbows on my knees, eased the crosshairs to his shoulder and just as I was about to shoot, he stood up to lick the branches...good thing...it allowed me a moment to collect myself and steady up my position...he was standing at 99yds...and my knees were my best rest.
He dropped to all 4's and began to work the scrape, I steadied again, squeezed the trigger, he reared up slightly and fell over backwards. A few weak kicks and he was done.
Been 2 years since I've taken a shot, let several walk, and not many opportunities to hunt...I was juiced!!!
This had not been plan A, but my hunch proved to be fruitful.
I had said a little prayer earlier, "Lord, sure would be nice to get a nice buck first thing in the morning, get him to the cooler and get back home to see the BAMA game today"
God is good, deer is cold, and I sure am lazy.

Last edited:

killerv

congrats, plan B worked out for us Saturday PM also. Was headed to another tract but changed my mind last minute. Helps when they are about 15 minutes from each other though.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Heck yeah Rip! Nice deer & write up! Congrats!

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Mighty fine buck, Ripper! (y)

GO TIGERS! ::ke::bounce: