Sometimes Software Is A Bad Thing

NOYDB

according to the person, who wasn't authorized to speak publicly about the investigation.
They still don't know why.

Ruger#3

How did the jack screw get positioned nose down, autoflight malfunction?
Was the autoflight turned off?
Lots off questions still to be answered.

Last edited:

jdgator

Since the 1980s military and commercial aircraft have been mostly computer controlled. The pilot is nothing more than a voting member in what do to.

NOYDB

Software doesn't do anything. Things controlled by software only do what is programed. Hackers have to understand the software to know what commands to send.

NOYDB

It's not like on the vid where a guy sits at a keyboard and takes things over. And dealing with a control program is not done by typing in words like filling in a post here. A signal can be interfered with but not controlled. Or if you are dealing with someone who can breach and control your planes system. You are already dead just looking for a place.

Regardless of the faulty input did these get used?
Supposedly, the 737 Max8 has an "improved" avionics support system that automatically and repeatedly adjusts the trim to maintain angle of attack without pilot input once autopilot is engaged - and that automatic trim control remains effective even if autopilot is disengaged or the pilot overrides. The control recording from the Ethiopian crash has reportedly revealed extreme trim over-corrections and subsequent pilot over-corrections. No one has determined, yet, that the system was at fault, or that trim errors caused the crash.

Someone wrote in an aviation blog (that I can't find now) that Boeing did NOT write procedures for the automated trim system or include instruction for disengaging the new system. While it may be something as simple as a software glitch, it gets real serious - and fatal - when the manufacturer does NOT give out any info about the existence of the system or instructions on what to do if it doesn't work!!!!!!!!

I am not saying Boeing is certainly at fault, just relaying rumor I picked up!

NOYDB

The programer sitting in his cubicle was flying the plane.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Sometimes pilots who don't know how to manually shut off the software is bad thing...

I think the two crashes are related.

Ruger#3

Sometimes pilots who don't know how to manually shut off the software is bad thing...

I think the two crashes are related.
I think they are related as well.

I also ponder the many hours put on a larger fleet here and the two crashes happen with foreign airlines.

Regardless of cause so sad.

NOYDB

Was hacked by a teenager with his phone who thought he had taken control of a drone.

flatfoot

I hope that it is not possible to hack into aircraft systems. I would surmise that some sick computer whiz is trying to figure it out.

It was proven possible with some cars in 2015, so why not try aircraft?