Son found a pretty one in "downtown" Albany

godogs57

He and wifey, two children were walking around Lake Loretta (a walking trail around the lake in Albany) and found this. Smack dab in the middle of the walking trail....how many folks had walked past this over the years? He took it home and cleaned it up a bit and brought it to show me yesterday. Some wear and tear on the point and the base shows that it was snapped off. Other than that, I think she's a pretty point!

arrowhead.jpg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Nice find. Goes to show you can find them anywhere

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nice! A Wacissa, maybe. The material is Coastal Plains chert with a heavy patina.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Was Wacissa a tribe?

No. We have no idea what the people who made that point called themselves. The point is in the neighborhood of 7,000 years old. I believe it is named after the Wacissa River in Florida.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
That's what I was wondering about. The Wacissa river & Wacissa community. Curious about the name when I saw this.

oldguy

Nice find!
I saw a humdinger a guy found under the Broad Avenue bridge.
Gotta' keep your eyes open.

mamatried

Just imagine how many artifacts are under the housing projects on the east side of the river. If you ever visit the flint river aquarium or turtle park, walk down to the river and check out the material. from what i remember its mostly yellow, orange, and red translucent chert. the good stuff.

Nice point!
Every artifact tells a story if your paying attention. The damage seems to be ancient considering the heavy patina. May have been damaged and lost during a hunt or washed out of the riverbank and displaced by high water.

godogs57

Our son has found a number of good points. Two artifacts that stand out are an all white (not quartz) scraper he saw in about 2 feet of water in our pond right where we launch boats. Another drop dead gorgeous point when they were digging the foundation for the house next door. Found those two finds to be pretty neat. I also got two artifacts from the railroad track that ran by my grandparents house in SC. A small black obsidian-like point and a small full groove axe head. Both found in the cut out of the bank that the rr track laid in.

oldguy

Just imagine how many artifacts are under the housing projects on the east side of the river. If you ever visit the flint river aquarium or turtle park, walk down to the river and check out the material. from what i remember its mostly yellow, orange, and red translucent chert. the good stuff.
Yeah, I was gonna' say can you imagine what might be found in real "downtown" if they ever had a major digging project?